iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain not staying wet

Started by rasawing, May 30, 2018, 02:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rasawing

I have a Stihl MS 660 where I cannot keep the chain wet while sawing. I know it's putting out oil because the tank runs out quickly. Not sure where the oil is going.....but it sure isn't getting on the chain. The emitter hole isn't blocked. I've checked that. Any ideas as to what could be the issue?

Upstatewoodchuc

How long of a bar? The ms660 is kind of know for not putting out enough for bars over the 32" range. Someone here knows better than I do, but I believe there is some oiler mod or replacement for them from stihl.
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

rasawing

Upstatewoodchuc

Did some digging, seems some people even with 25" bars like yours have complaints. Did you adjust the oiler output to the max? If that's not enough, stihl makes a high output oiler or you can rebuild the one you have with the high output piston and screw. Part #'s 1122 647 0602 --piston. #1128 647 4802 --control bolt. Good luck!
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

DelawhereJoe

Is there anything between the bar and inner bar plate or between the inner bar plate and the body that could cause the bar oil to leak out somewhere before it makes it to the bar ? Another thing to think about it how worn is the bar between the rails and or have the rails opened up ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

DaveP

I put a high output oiler on my 660. Oils very well now.  

Skeans1

That's one thing I've never understood with Stihl is why do they need two oil pumps? My 390/385 will oil a 42" when wide open.

rasawing

QuoteDid you adjust the oiler output to the max?

Using the screw? I've tried adjusting it a few times. The thing about it is: because of the low output, I cannot tell if I have it adjusted right. And since these screws can just rotate and rotate......it's hard to tell. 

Thanks to everyone for their feedback (so far). 

rasawing

Ok....I think I got it fixed. And I'm man enough to admit: I really screwed this up. Turns out the weep hole (that gets the oil into the bar) really was blocked. It was the first thing I checked.....and somehow I missed it. I run a piece of wire through the hole to be sure.....but somehow it missed this glob of stuff. 

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Thank You Sponsors!