iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Reminds me of Mamma's sweet tea

Texas Ranger

old fella told me once he was rich, silver in his hair and gold in his teeth.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WV Sawmiller

Based on the extra hints I'd guess Silver Maple.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

caveman

That is what I was thinking too, WV. Silver Maple (A c e r  s a c c h a r i n u m).  I checked the Japanese Maple to rule it out before settling on Silver Maple.  
Caveman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

thanks everyone.   I know this is the spot where I tell everyone what it really is...  but I was not sure so thank you.  the leaves did not quite fit black oak which is what I was told it is.  there was some spalting in some sap wood.  was set to pick it up but it has rained all night and my trailer is in a muddy area.  when I get it, I will post some of the wood, but it may be mostly fire wood.  we will see.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

I have a maple here that even Danny did not get for sure when he was here. Its been a few years since he looked at it. At the time he looked at it his guess was some sort of hybridized maple. Should I get some photos?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

Sure Jeff, there are a million hybrids, especially Japanese, we've been through 3 here that looked nothing like one another. We're right on the cold edge for many of them.

Jeff

Don P

If that is a milky sap coming out of the twig I'm guessing its a Norway of one sport or another. If it is one glyphosate is the best fertilizer :D

This is from out back, a Japanese "Full Moon",

Jeff

It was milky and sticky.

Don P

That's the telltale for a Norway maple, it is the only one with a milky sap. It is a your-a-peein import. It is planted as an ornamental but is pretty much considered an invasive nowadays.

KEC

Norway Maple is pretty decent stovewood. 

Ron Scott

Yes to Silver Maple and Norway Maple. Both are common urban ornamentals.
~Ron

Woodpecker52

Here is a ornamental that grows wild in the woods usually on the banks of gulleys under cool shade in deep woods.

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

curdog

That's one you can put in your cap for sure...

DelawhereJoe

That looks to me like an oak leaf hydrangea.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Don P

The lacecap is native to Japan and has a more ovate leaf and upturned flowers where the oak leaf is one of ours. Well, that and I showed it to the boss and she immediately said "oak leaf hydrangea".
When she worked at a nursery a customer came in and asked if they had any of those high geraniums. Silence, gears turning, "You know, snowball bush" "Oh, smooth hydrangea, yes m'am"

Woodpecker52

Oak Leaf Hydrangea, managed to transplant this one from the woods to my shop its about 15 years old and about 4 feet tall, still surviving.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Woodpecker52

I seem to see this type tree advancing all over the country,  It seems to have first been noticed in the deep south around creole country but as an invasive species have others noticed it where they live?

caveman

It looks a lot like a glassware southern deadcedar.
Caveman

Magicman

Actually the proper name for that particular one is; "Kaleidoscope Stroke" since it has different colored bottles.  One with only clear bottles is; "Silica Transparencii". 

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DelawhereJoe

I believe they were first genetically engineered by an acholic dendrologist as a designer landscape plant.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Ianab

Not a new TOTD, but one from a while back. Sitting outside the school waiting for the kids, and the kowhai are flowering, and the Tui birds are making the most of it.

The school road frontage is maybe 300 yards of those trees. Pretty much every tree has several Tui  birds in them. The best ones have 6+ arguing over territory and mates. We have a few in the trees at the back of the house, as there are camellia and cherry trees down there that they also like. But nothing like the numbers here. 

Tui are a honey eater, but pretty smart and feisty birds. Their song is hard to describe as they can pretty much make any noise, up to being trained to talk like a parrot.  They are one of the few NZ birds that adapted well to farmland and city living.  The local birds seem to move into town for the winter and hang out in the gardens and parks. Another month and they will head 10 miles up the road into the Nat Park and nest there over summer. 

But they are really cool to watch this time of year, if 20 of then meet up in one flowering cherry tree. :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Texas Ranger

Tui song . - YouTube

Kinda like our mocking birds, I have one that answers my Toyota lock and unlock chirp.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!