iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Competition

Started by jph, December 29, 2009, 11:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Red

Quote from: beenthere on December 30, 2009, 02:33:00 PM
 Now, this is the way I am reading what WM is doing. So just an observation.

If that is their intent I agree.  But looking at the ad it looks as if they are a "contract cuuting service" not training employees.

QuoteWood-Mizer Uk now offer a contract cuuting service we are able to cut trees up to 6.1 meter long 90 cm in diamere either on site or at out UK offices in Yalding call Alex Jordan on 01622813201 for more detail on contract cutting or call the sales office for more details on our range of mills

Tim

venice

My best guess would be they refer the business to their customers who are buying wm mills in order to support them making their payments...

Everything else should be considered bad business practice.

Things like training the staff or research and developement should not be done in competition to your own customers. Costs for r&d are priced into the product and paid by the buyer of the machinery anyway.

One desperate branch manager who's trying to meet his targets at all costs would be an other plausible option.

There is absolutely no way to compete against the manufacturer of your equipment(if you want to make profit).

Best

p.s. i would call them to find out what's going on if i would be in this situation.

Jasperfield

I believe I'd go talk to them and get facts. I also think you'd come away from the meeting with a benefit of some kind.

Remember, Wood-Mizer's real revenue comes from selling mills and incidental equipment. They generate more (per employee) from a day of manufacturing/marketing/selling/repairing & sharpening than they ever will from a day doing any kind of sawing.

A fellow is tempted to assume the worst. Let's not get the cart before the horse.

ARKANSAWYER

Maybe they have so may calls for custom sawing and got tired of telling people that on one was willing to do it.  Maybe you need to get out of your own wood lot and look at all the work going undone around you.
ARKANSAWYER

MartyParsons

I think the Wood-Mizer in th UK is a dealer not an official owned Wood-Mizer Branch as they are called in th US. We are called a ASC Auhorized Sales Center. We find sawiers for land owners as much as possible. We try to find WM owners to provide logs for us at the shows. They get the lumber or we do our best to get some $ for them. It is a win win for us and them. We do some sawing here at our location. If it is one log or two I do it. If it a day job I try to get the local WM owners to take the big jobs. I would go and talk to them and tell them your feelings and see what they say.
Happy New Year
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

jph

Thanks Marty, that explains it, if they are only a dealership then they need to do whatever is neccessary to keep money coming in.

jpgreen

Like Arky mentioned...

What percentage of WM or any brand saw mill purchasers actually build a successful working operation?  I would say very, very few.

Why?... because it ain't easy.  You have to have it together on so many levels to make it happen, and happen consistantly over the years for the long haul.

So my belief is there really isn't any competition for a serious go getter.  None.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Thank You Sponsors!