iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody Cutting and Skidding Blow downs this winter?

Started by Codmons, December 21, 2010, 06:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Codmons

I'm 24, I've been working in the woods for 10 years now... just wondered if anyone else is getting the pleasure that I am this year of skidding blow downs out... Thank god for choker pokers lol... you guys have any tips for winter skidding?... I'm dressing heavy for sure...

northwoods1

Here is a tip: Get a good snow shovel :D Seriously, it is nice to have a good one on the skidder. Snow is beginning to add up here.

Autocar

When I still ran a cable skidder I took a 3/8's half moon rod off a old pull type hay rake. Then bent a tight hook on one end to pull the cable back underneath the log and a handle on the other end. It worked alot better then trying to jamb the cable under logs that were tight to the ground. I hung it on the skidder and I felt it save alot of time.
Bill

Kevin

I made a hook like that also but I put  red flagging on the handle so I don't lose it.
Not enough snow to skid yet but I broke the trail yesterday, waiting for it to freeze now.
Any tree that I have that is wind thrown is hung up on something else, they never make it all the way to the ground.
Get a cape for your hardhat to keep the snow from going down the back of your neck.

g_man

If they are froze to the ground and buried in snow the best thing you can have is a good sense of humor, a lot of patience, any plenty of good dry gloves. Dress in layers and the hardhat liner with a cape mentioned by Kevin is worth its weight in gold.

Kevin

Another item I have is a spare T shirt to change into at the end of the day.
When I wear a damp shirt I almost always end up with a cold.
I've been using a cheap rubber palm Atlas glove that keeps the hands dry along with a little bag balm.

Mark K

I'm heading back to a blow-down that I started in the early fall. Got shut down because of the mud. I'd rather fight snow then run in the mud. I wear a set of rubber gloves under my regular gloves and carry a couple changes of clothes. Good luck.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

timbuck2

Have pulled a fair amount of blow downs over the years, my rule of thumb is pay less for the wood. 20% is about all it's worth.  What is the alternative? let it rot in the woods?  Good solid standing stumpage we pay 33 to 50 % of paid value.  Coos Land Services

logloper

If the fan on your skidder blows forward,hang a piece of baleing wire on the front grill. When your gloves get wet, hang them on this wire as your skidding. They dry out pretty quick. Wear one pair till wet, then switch to the dry ones.

Codmons

I'm enjoying it to be honest, I just hook farther down the tree if I can't hook the choker under the tree near the butt... then I'll winch it, until it's ready so I can re-adjust the hooks :)...

I'm only 24, but I definitely love logging for sure... Blow downs on a sidehill are terrible but I take what I get for work.

Ron Scott

~Ron

lumberjack48

I cut many thousands of cds of blow down, i always backed my drag in to the uncut blow down, this knocked the brush and snow down, opened the other timber up and liming my drag at the same time .

I know you can't do this on steep ground, I've cut b/d on steep ground for the same reason you are,[ a job]
I look back at it now, i was crazy,  you do what you have to keep food on the table.
I didn't get hurt cutting b/d, but i seen spooky and freaky stuff happen, i always run a longer bar cutting b/d, helps get you out of harms way.
I used to buy insulated monkey grip gloves, yes i know your hands sweat and smell terrible, but there warm, but then again the ole choppers are still the best. 

Like Scott said, be care full
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Codmons

Pulling the trees away from root balls, without ripping into other trees is such a treat. I feel bad for inexperienced guys who try to continue to take the same route out as they take driving in lol... I've learned to find a better route on my way out, so I don't mark anything as much as possible.

Least the weather in PA hasn't been too brutal. I just got a set of Under Armour too.

tyb525

I spent a couple of hours every day last week cutting dead standing and blow downs for firewood. 12"down to 2". I've got several cords so far, now I have to split them >:( ;D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!