iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A thing of beauty

Started by Stephen Alford, April 24, 2015, 07:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Alford

Finally got my "ol hoss" dug out.

Had about a cord + on her.

Every now and then you see a thing of beauty and you just have to pause and take it all in "bare ground"

logon

4x4American

How boot that eh?  ;D

Were those pictures from today?
Boy, back in my day..

CCC4

Nice pics Sir!

...I already have me a tan this year doncha know! I don't ever want to see that much snow! WHOOT!  :D

rick f

Bare ground looked real good here as well. We had about 170" of snow here in Downeast Maine. I know you folks got it just as bad. Hard winter in the woods with all the snow.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

North River Energy

Hopefully that load isn't going to one of those customers that demand you re-stack as proof of fair measure?

kensfarm

Wow...  you could shovel snow every day and it wouldn't even matter.  I'd try hybernation.. eat all you want.. wake up when it's all melted.  ;D

timberlinetree

That's a lot of weight. The snow really made it tuff this winter.it funny when all the snow melts and I start finding stuff that I though was lost stolen or just forgot about.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

SwampDonkey

Snow still that deep on the island? Hardly anything in the fields here, maybe 8" in patches in the woods. Some fence line drifts still.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

4x4American

Man I would have dug that out with a flame thrower at this point!  :D
Boy, back in my day..

Stephen Alford

You lads crack me up.  :D  The truck pics were taken several weeks ago. We have had around 520cm of snow this year.  I have not yet got a full grasp of modern weather termanology but I can tell you when ol Boomer the local weather man uses the term "clouding over".... brace yourself.   ;)  The rain and temps have made a big difference this week. This is a lot pic from Friday.

The snow got so deep had to pretty much abandon ship.  Got concerned the winch would sieze up so earlier this week launched a rescue mission. Loaded up the improv sled and headed in...

On my way out noticed a cresent shaped nole.  As I approached for some reason the image of Gary C's forwarder doing the breast stroke came to mind.  Thanks for that post Gary you saved me from a dip.  :)

When I came out the farmer said that was a rather deep holding pond.    He was working on his harrows. Asked if he was good to go? He looked at the harrows then at the field... YUP First cut is going to be  the worst.   :D

Good day yesterday managed to get the first load "on and gone".   Stay safe...  :)

logon

OntarioAl

Stephen
With all the snow shutting you down some of your customers were probably running short on wood.
Al
Al Raman

SwampDonkey

The smart ones already had their wood bought and stored months ago.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stephen Alford

Well Al, folks burned a lot of wood this winter and its not over yet.  A few more -30 nights would be sweet but might make me sound greedy.   :D    Big factor are the number of air to air installs. For insurance purposes they are required to have a backup heat source. Most go with wood. Install air to air take the oil out and put a wood unit on the chimney. But below -20 the the air to air sort of flat lines. Hello wood smoke. We all know "smoke" is the best end use for wood.  :laugh:   The first responders here do a fabulous job.  There are just enough power outages to keep that wood unit operational.  I was out in those 120+km winds we had and man let me tell you  it was impressive. Hoping the Hst is dropped on wood this year, there is none on oil which leaves folks burning wood,using solar and electricity unhappy campers.
   SD the consumer has been slow realizing that seasoning wood has become the responsibilty of the buyer not the seller. Seasoned wood sells faster and sooner but not for any more money. Inventory is becoming to expensive to carry. How did folks on the Saint John make out with flooding this year?
   NRE if I do not have wood for a "particular" consumer , I always see they at least get another phone number.  :D :D
logon

SwampDonkey

Stephen,

The typical hairy canary flood watch in certain towns with a reactive response from officials instead of less costly proactive approach. :D But not flooded out for the most part.

Those of us with the smarts don't build on flood plains.  I can see the river just fine up here on the ridge. ;D

Stephen Alford

Snowing here today...ohhum...  Those forcasters  "wet snow"   "chillly windchills"  followed by "dry wind"    man they just make you dizzy.   :D

Sd here is an option for those flood plane dwellers and with a little effort escape your increasing black bear population.  ;)   http://www.tentsile.com/     Speaking of tents how did you make out with your new one ?
logon

SwampDonkey

Just like the comforts of home.  8)

Bears like to climb to, and they know how to get at a meal suspended in the air, ask Jeff. :D

I saw bears all summer on the roads, none ever came near camp. All that walked by camp were moose, and they would blow sometimes to test your nerve. :D

Camped out for years and never had bear troubles.

Stephen Alford

Have not had much time to contribute of late ,so I thought I would add a pic or two.   ;D

PEI has had its 4 seasons shortened to 2 seasons, "winter" & "next winter".   :D   Things got off to a shaky start. Got the gear all ready,fired up the tractor and headed out. Must have went maybe all of 30' and blew the clutch.

Had a little jig with the devil but it passed.  Actually not that bad really as it was handy the shop . took a day to take the armor off, a day to get parts and another to put her together.  Nice to see everything is in good shape , gives confidence to the start of what has been a challenging year.

This is a pic of the water hole I mentioned earlier without the snow. It now has the official title of "Garies Hole"   :D

The snow has all but gone. "oh happy days"

This was the big surprise. Had the feeling I was not alone in this woodlot. If I am not mistaken "bobcat"

In some good wood and some of it is even on the landing. Yaaaaa  !!!!  :)   

logon

lopet

Hope you have changed the throw out bearing as well as you already have been in that tractor.
Those foot prints look like coming from a bigger cat, but also noticed a swiss army knife is a standard tool in PEI.
I bet you're glad  to see all that white stuff has disappeared .  8)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Stephen Alford

Right you are Lopet.  Those tracks are a fair size ,the pattern and single lobe give them a cat appearance. They are not native to the island.  Rumor has it they were brought here illegally back in the seventies to help control rabbits doing damage to blueberries. Have seen a couple "ol cougars" . Usually  around the bars downtown on the weekend. Their tracks are different....  they kinda drag their prey   :D
   Farmers here were about a month behind getting on the land. Even then there was snow on the north side of the hedgerows. Man those big JD's with the 10" discs do a job.  Beef cattle seem to be doing a bit better.  Lobster catches up...prices at the warf down.  Prices for hardwood look like they will stay about the same around 220+/- a cord for blocked split and delivered.
   How are things with you.... crop in....lots of wood on the landing ?
logon

Ken

Stephen
After a winter like you experienced firewood prices should see a healthy increase.  Here in NB prices are averaging $275 as long as the delivery distances are not too far.  Local landowners have realized the value of quality hardwood which has caused stumpage prices to rise. 

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

lopet

Quote from: Stephen Alford on May 31, 2015, 08:17:38 PM

How are things with you.... crop in....lots of wood on the landing ?

Yup, crops are in and up. Some guys with black muck had some frost damage in the corn, but now we finally got some much needed rain, that will help to recover. About the wood, I am a little behind with processing ( long story ) and it probably will keep me busy for another while. :)  But things will be just fine.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

David-L

Nice Pic's Stephen, gotta love those cab tractors and clutch jobs. People around these parts are getting fuel wood any way they can. Here's a customer who I fill a forty yard roll off with 12 ft round wood with the grapple trailer. Seven cords and this load has some weight due to being Red Oak. Git 'er done baby!!!, I stand back when he's pulling that box on. Stay safe and I'm ready for the tailgate food shots any time.

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Stephen Alford

Good to hear lopet  :)

I will David, for now got to settle for "coldcuts"   :D

Here is a chuckle if it works  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y-OMlzoAKU
logon

Stephen Alford

Many times over the years someone has posted about some experience and as a result I have checked out same and it has saved me a great deal of grief. Hoping to return the favor and remind you good folks to keep checking your  "lugnuts" .    ;D

The bugs are back and by bugs I mean "blackflies"  One of you lads last year mentioned putting chain oil on the helmet.  Changed that up a tad and smeared baby oil on the helmet,  shroud and a rub on the inside. That along with a bit of verbena/lavander mix seems to help alot.  Don't know which I like more , the carnage on the helmet or the screams as the careen over the edge of the helmet when they can't get the landing gear down...   :D

This is one of my favorite homes. Great family.  I really like the multiple chimneys, but there is just something about it that puts a smile on my face.   :)

logon

SwampDonkey

That ain't near enough firewood.  :D :D 8)

Thank You Sponsors!