iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

McCulloch Model 99 Chainsaw

Started by speden427, March 13, 2012, 09:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speden427

Original post: (While cleaning my father in-laws garage I came across a John Deere Model 99 chainsaw. All I have found so far is the power head. It looks to be a two man unit. Does anyone have any information on this saw?)

In the earlier post I wrongly identified the chainsaw in question. All I could see was a sticker on the side which said it was a John Deere dealer. It is actually a McCulloch Model 99. I have found information on the saw, but I have no idea what it is worth. I don't want to give it away. I was hoping I could get some information so I can ask a fair price.

Thank you,

Dennis Spencer

thecfarm

speden427,just want to welcome you to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ikeholt

The bar and chain are probably worth as much or more than the power head.  I've paid between $10 and $225 for the two-man Macs I have.  Price depends on condition, of course.

Al_Smith

It might be worth a tidy bit to a person who collects large geardrives .On the other hand you might have to hang onto it a while before you find someone who is interested in it .

Kind of funny really .I collect certain Macs .Not a big collection as some but a few .I've had people plague me to death about old boat anchor Macs and get about half teed off when I don't go all starry eyed about one they are trying to sell .You know it's different strokes for different folks on collectable  stuff .Not everybody is interested in them but good luck if you try and sell it . ;D

markd

I agree with you Al,most of my collection I got for nothin, they're fun to look at for five minutes. Markd
markd

Al_Smith

Oh on that somebody from Arizona annoyed me to no end about some saw that was presented to his father from Robert McCulloch .Like that means a hill of beans to me .I mean pestered me to death .Wanted like 8-900 for it .I finally had to get about half rude with him untill he shut up about the danged thing .

About a year ago some local guy found me on the internet .Had a barn full of boat anchors that hadn't ran in thirty years ,wanted a couple grand for them .Geeze old Al was born at night just not last night . :D

Jazzbery

I have a Model 99 that I listed on Craigslist and Ebay. It didn't sell but I had lots of  inquirers asking about it. One said he sold his a couple years ago for $1450.00. Got me all worked up for a bit.

Al_Smith

Avid collectors with deep pockets often put values on stuff far in excess of the common working person .Automobiles,fire arms,stamps even pop bottles.

When the economy is good these things bring in the money to the right crowd .When the economy is not so good they can't hardly give it away .

AdkStihl

Good friend of mine picked up a beauty of a 99. for $50.
Even had a 48" bar with helper handle and it ran decent.
Back road yard sale score.

Turned around and sold it on ebay for $400.
J.Miller Photography

sawguy21

I have never paid more than 75 bucks for a saw in my life and that was for a particularly clean old Husky that I wanted. Last weekend I snagged an old Mac and a Pioneer for 10 bucks. No decals on the Mac but near as I can tell from Mike's site it is a 797, I had never heard of that model. I will throw a plug in it and see if it barks.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

They claim a 797 has more grunt than a 125 .I can't yeah or nay on that .I'm not  certain if I've ever even seen one.

Thank You Sponsors!