iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which Mill to buy? Woodmizer or Cooks

Started by redneckman, March 01, 2017, 07:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

It is a never ending slippery slope. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

starmac

Only 56 hours concerns me, it sounds too good to be true, I think a call to woodmizer will let you know if they have had to do any work on it. It sounds like it has one of the tier 4 motors, too bad it was not a year older, but still should be cheaper operating than the gas over the long haul.

Has anybody ever checked on the price of the wide head, if woodmizer would sell it seperatly, I bet it would be way cheaper than the 10,000?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Dave Shepard

WM does not offer the wide head parts separately. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: redneckman on March 22, 2018, 06:45:19 PM

My mill has a joke of a fuel tank on it (only holds about 4 gallons), but it will run at hard sawing for 6+ hours on a tank.  That is pretty cheep.  IMO, the Yanmars are the way to go.

Good luck on your new mill.
Maybe thats why I think I burn more fuel compared to my to my Kohler.
The other mill would hold a little over 5 gallons.
I'm thinking now my Yanmar tank holds under 5 gallons.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

redneckman

I called WM about the tank on mine.  I was wanting to get one of the yellow can types that would hold more fuel.  They told me that it was all part of the new EPA regulations.  Kind of funny that zero turn mowers have two 5 gallon + tanks and a much smaller engine.  At least, my engine does not use the DEF fluid.  I have already checked into getting a bigger tank.  I would like one that would hold enough fuel for a solid 8-10 hours of saying at least.  When my mill is out of warranty, I will be changing it. 

starmac

Odd that epa would have a limit on the size of tank, aren't they claiming that is why they don't offer a bigger engine any more too though.

Magicman

I read somewhere that the epa decided that some of the larger engines offered were too large for the intended sawing purpose.  :-\  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

redneckman

They didn't say that, but it wouldn't surprise me. 

It just goes to show how much the people making these laws knows nothing about what they are talking about.  A overloaded, smaller HP engine will put off more exhaust, and consume more fuel than a higher HP engine that is running under the same load.

TKehl

Boonesyard, good choice.  For the $10k you saved, you could get a dedicated slabbing mill to go with it for the real big ones.  ;)

Quote from: redneckman on March 22, 2018, 06:45:19 PMI am thinking about a chainsaw slabing mill.  We will see.

They're never quite big enough.  I can cut 4' wide and then run into something bigger or a nice crotch piece I'd like to keep intact.  I'm already thinking about adding an Alaskan for what the Lucas can't handle.  :)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Kbeitz

Found this on the net...

3.3.1   Non-Road Diesel Engine and Fuel Standards

EPA regulations establish four tiers of emission standards for new non-road diesel engines. Tier 1 emission standards were issued in 1994 for most large (greater than 50 horsepower (hp)), land-based non-road diesel engines used in agricultural and construction equipment. These were phased-in between 1996 and 2000. In 1998, EPA promulgated Tier 1 standards for smaller (< 50 hp) diesel engines, which were phased-in between 1999 and 2000.  At that time, EPA also issued more stringent Tier 2 emission standards for all non-road diesel engine sizes, with a 2001- 2006 phase-in, and Tier 3 standards for new diesel engines between 50 and 750 hp, with a 2006 - 2008 phase-in. 

In 2004, EPA promulgated regulations that integrate new non-road diesel engine emission standards (Tier 4 standards) with requirements to decrease the allowable levels of sulfur in non-road diesel fuel. The regulations set emission standards for engines used in most construction, agricultural, industrial, and airport equipment beginning in 2008. Fuel requirements will decrease the sulfur levels in non-road diesel fuel to prevent damage to emission-control systems. Current sulfur levels of about 3,000 ppm will be reduced to a maximum of 500 ppm in 2007. The second phase will reduce sulfur levels in non-road diesel fuel to 15 ppm in 2010, except for locomotive and marine diesel fuel, which will be reduced to 15 ppm in 2012.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

redneckman

I agree.  I thought about making a bar from laminating three pieces of steel together, making a carriage and powering it with a vertical shaft lawnmower engine, or something like that.  I would not be using it often, but when a customer with a oversized log that is too big for most mills wants it cut, it would be a opportunity to charge a premium to cut it, and it would give the customer a service that is hard to find.  Around here, 48"-60" oaks, maples, and cherrys are not uncommon.  I have a 48" white oak growing in the corner of my yard now.  I had one guy to call me and he claimed to have a 72" maple.  That one would have been be a good black powder candidate. 

boonesyard

Quote from: starmac on March 22, 2018, 08:28:13 PM
Only 56 hours concerns me, it sounds too good to be true, I think a call to woodmizer will let you know if they have had to do any work on it. It sounds like it has one of the tier 4 motors, too bad it was not a year older, but still should be cheaper operating than the gas over the long haul.

Has anybody ever checked on the price of the wide head, if woodmizer would sell it seperatly, I bet it would be way cheaper than the 10,000?
I did find this through a Wood-Mizer dealer. While I was on the phone with them, this rig rolled in. This dealer sold it new and new all about the machine. The outfit bought it new last year and ended up not having any time to use it. I'm buying it as a consignment sale. I guess one of those "right time right place" deals  :laugh:. 
It is a tier 4 engine, is that going to be a big deal? Less power? Less fuel Economy? More problems? 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Percy

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 22, 2018, 05:15:13 PM
 As my father likes to say, a cow well bought is a cow half sold.  :D

😂😂😂
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

starmac

They are less horsepower than the older ones, how much of that you actually feel, I do not know.
From what I understand they are naturally aspirated., so will lose a little more power at higher altitudes, and I don't see how they can be as efficient.
I have heard of no complaints of people having problems with them.

Darrel

The Goat could tell you about that engine. He has it on his LT40 Widehead. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

boonesyard

Quote from: boonesyard on March 22, 2018, 04:48:01 PM
OK, I've made my decision. Used 2017 LT50 w/35.9 hp Yanmar and 56 actual hours, Debarker, Lubemizer and 10 new blades, I'm making the call know. Thanks Everyone! Will post pics of the knew set-up.

PS. I've got to make a 20 hour trip to pick it up, but my wife and I haven't been away for some time, we'll make a good trip of it.
Well, a good day. I made the deal on the new saw today. I consternated over the wide head option, but decided to take everyone's recommendation and go with the great buy on this diesel equipped saw over a new saw with the wide head. I called today and made the deal and found out it also has the wide head option ;D. Can't beat that! I'm making the 20 hr. trip the weekend after easter to pick it up on Monday, April 9th. Going to be a long 2 weeks, will take pictures as this progresses.    
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Darrel

How EXCITING!!!  Watch all the YouTube videos you can and learn as much as you can about sawing. Watch how they turn, level and clamp logs. Learn as much as you can.

And if nothing else, the time will pass faster.
8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

Well now whataboutthat!!  That is falling head first into a bowl of banana pudding (or Grits) for sure.  Many Congratulations are in order!!   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

starmac

Nanner puddin, no problem, I could eat my way out of a big bowl, probably drown in 2 inches of them there grits. Lordy that would be a terrible way to go.

Banjo picker

Good deal on the mill.  8)  Only thing I wish is that I could get these grit haters to belly up to a bowl of Georgia Ice Cream.  Made some where over around Dahlonega Ga.  At least thats where I got some once.  We were at a big bluegrass festival there.  Might good stuff.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WLC

Did I hear 'nanner puddin' and grits??  Where?  Where?  Would love some of both. Banana pudding is about my favorite dessert.  Wife doesn't make it too often or I would be MUCH fatter than I am already. 

Congrats on the new mill.  Waiting for pics of its first sawing adventures.

Banjo Picker Dahlonega Ga is where my Momma's family is from.  But the best grits come from about 30 miles east of there from Nora Mills.  Old water turned grist mill that has been in operation since 1876 or so.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

samandothers

Wow what a deal!  Christmas is 2 weeks away!  You know what you're getting too!

boonesyard

Quote from: samandothers on March 26, 2018, 10:27:40 PM
Wow what a deal!  Christmas is 2 weeks away!  You know what you're getting too!
Yes, I think we do. We've been thinking about this for many years, and I think I've got tube wore out watchin sawin'. We're just a little bit sick (we like to work) and know we've just contracted the sawing disease.:o I'm counting on all of you to help me through therapy. Thanks for all you kind words. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

YellowHammer

That's a great deal, and a fine mill.  Did you happen to think of buying a lottery ticket, also? ;D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!