iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Klipping firewood

Started by Faron, January 22, 2007, 11:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faron

The first of the year I mentioned picking up our new tree shear in Kansas.  It was mentioned I should get some pictures of it in action.  I have used it a little, between rains, so here are some pics.

This is the critter.  It will shear off a 10" tree in one cycle.  You can cut a bigger tree by taking a bite out of it, and then cutting.

We have it mounted to our Ford 276 Bi-directional tractor.  Most use a skid steer.

Those three photos are shearing a tree.  The shear is designed to make the trees fall to the right.  The cutter acts as a wedge, with wood holding on the right hand side of the tree.

I then can cut the tree into sections, then grip the pieces and move them to stacks and get them out of the way.

I cut whatever will make firewood with the shear and leave it in piles for pickup later.  The shear rotates so I can cut limbs off along woods.  I'll get a pic of that later.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

leweee

Cutting firewood from the cab of a heated tractor ....no sawdust or chain to sharpen. ;D ;D
It don't get much better than that. 8) 8) 8) 8)
If you don't mind me asken...How much $$$for the Kansas Klipper. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Faron

Leweee, $5000 for the Klipper.  I looked at the Timberline, who are FF sponsers.  Their shear is bigger, 14 in cut, but much like the Klipper.  Had to go with the Klipper for budget reasons. ;)  You know, it was pretty nice today.  Light drizzle, spitting snow, wind blowing, and there I was, slaving away in my shirt sleeves. ;D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

leweee

:D  :D  :D SWEET :D  :D  :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

tdelorme

Ain't that one sweet looking deal.  I just hope the enviormental folks don't get wind that such a machine is available.  They will try and outlaw chainsaws outright and send us all out to the woods with a pair of scissors.  :D

maple flats

Is that the only size they offer? Sure does look neat and has to be much safer than a chainsaw.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Faron

Maple Flats, currently that is the only size this fellow makes.  However he showed me a prototype machine he is working on that is much bigger.  It could be mounted on a trackhoe or three point hitch of a large tractor.  I think he said it will cut a 19" tree in one bite.  Cedarman's son is a dealer for a bigger shear, I think, and Timberline, whose ad is on the left has a begger one.

ksu_chainsaw

Where in Kansas did you get that at?  just wondering so I can go by and take a gander at it.

Charles

Faron

Beeson Manufacturing, Sedan KS   Phone 620-725-4117

If you contact them, let them know you heard about it from the Forum.  I suggested he ought to look into sponsorship of the forum, and he seemed somewhat interested.  Said since he was covered up at the moment, maybe more advertisement might be a bad idea.  A few inquiries from FF members might convince him.

Quartlow

What you need is one of these bad boys  ;)
Allied Gator Sheer

Videos Bottom right side of the page

Made right here in Youngstown. I worked for them about 17 years ago. Awesome piece of equipment. The ones we had back then didn't rotate and we hung them on old 6400 and 7400 link belt excavators. You could do some serious damage with one of these bad boys
Helped build the original closure for the 992 Cat loaders. 
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Faron

52,000 pounds!! :o  Might be a little rough on a 9,000 lb tractor, even if it is blue! ;) :D

There was a thread discussing quick attaches for tractors.  We ordered the shear with a universal skid steer quick attach.  We didn't have one on the tractor, so we had our local welding shop make one, and a plate for our loader bucket.  A new quick attach  was about $1500, and I don't think it would fit the universal skid steer.  The shop made the quick attach and the bucket plate for $750. 8)  You can see part of it in some of the pictures.  We wanted the universal skid steer so we can rent or buy skid steer attachments like a big post hole digger, post driver, etc, and use with this tractor.  We also made the self leveling arms on the loader adjustible so the shear would turn straight down for firewood shearing.  Bottom holes for tree clearing and firewood cutting, top holes for most bucket work and for maximun reach shearing limbs.

Quartlow

Hey you ford guys are always telling me, built Ford tough  :D  :D  :D

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Thank You Sponsors!