iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got your firewood done yet?

Started by uplander, August 08, 2014, 01:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uplander

Who has their firewood in? mine is done and dry enough to burn well. I think I have enough for 2 heating seasons or nearly so. Glad I got out last winter and did it when I did.
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

Tom L

done and done, since I bought the processor, I have more firewood than I ever imagined.

now have been cutting up the all the neighbors firewood for them. too much fun with the correct equipment

clww

I've got one more cord to stack today. Next week, I have four more cords to cut up, split, load, etc. Hopefully the ground will dry out where it's sitting so I can drive my truck in there.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Piston

Not me!
I'm still behind. I won't have enough seasoned wood to get me through winter but I'll make due with what I have. I may even buy a cord or two this year  :o

One of my goals for this fall is to cut, split, and stack at least a 3 years supply, then keep up with it year after year. Hopefully I won't be saying the same thing next year  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

SPD748

I've got 3/4 of what I need seasoned 10 months. It will be over a year old when I light the stove. I still need 2 cords :(

Oh what I would do for a processor...

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Holmes

Quote from: SPD748 on August 08, 2014, 05:34:22 PM
I've got 3/4 of what I need seasoned 10 months. It will be over a year old when I light the stove. I still need 2 cords :(

Oh what I would do for a processor...

-lee
You are building one ? Right?  If you build a second one Piston and I will share it. 8) Of course we'll keep it at my place and he will still be behind on his wood production :D ;D ::)
Think like a farmer.

pineywoods

I had about 2 cords stacked in the barn, another cord piled outside drying. Went off on a 3 week trip, and when I got home, the outside pile was GONE. Went looking for it, found it neatly stacked inside the barn. Neighbors, what can I say?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

jdonovan

6 cords at the house, ready to burn 2 more at the farm in reserve. Have 3 cords of logs cut for a start on next years heat. Going up to the farm this weekend to collect more logs.

Piston

Quote from: Holmes on August 08, 2014, 06:40:20 PM

You are building one ? Right?  If you build a second one Piston and I will share it. 8) Of course we'll keep it at my place and he will still be behind on his wood production :D ;D ::)

Dana,
He could store it at MY house and I would STILL be behind on my wood production.  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

clww

Quote from: pineywoods on August 08, 2014, 06:48:58 PM
I had about 2 cords stacked in the barn, another cord piled outside drying. Went off on a 3 week trip, and when I got home, the outside pile was GONE. Went looking for it, found it neatly stacked inside the bar. Neighbors, what can I say?
That's some mighty fine neighbors. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

clww

Quote from: Corley5 on August 08, 2014, 10:35:04 PM
I'm never done  ;) ;D
Me too, until I run out of backyard here at The Beach.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Southside

90 degrees today - I do not want to think about firewood!!!  At the moment there is a big pile of 10' or so oak and maple laying in the middle of one of our fields, will get to it one of these days. 

While on the subject have any of you guys burnt gum?  I have no experience with it and have some odd and ends that were cut out of logs and are too short for the pulp mill, figured I would try burning it. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

clww

I burn it regularly. Once dry, I think it burns well, and I actually prefer it over maple. It doesn't really split, though-it shreds and makes a big mess. If you use any, make sure you split it while it's still green, because it is one tough customer once it has dried.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

chevytaHOE5674

I have about 1/2 a cord left over from last winter and that is the extent of my firewood at this point :(. Should probably start working on that since before long the snow will be falling.

clww

I thought it never stopped snowing up there. I read all the weather posts you shared from last winter--BRUTAL! :(
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

dave_dj1

I have enough cut and split for at least two seasons and I"m hoping maybe three. Going to start cutting and splitting for after that here in the near future. My buddy is having his land logged again right now and they should be done in a couple of months, just in time for cooler weather.

petefrom bearswamp

Still have a years worth in the shed, and another in my "wood field" all stacked and quite dry.but the classic sprung a leak last March and we have bought a house in FL to snow bird it so may not burn wood at all.
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Oliver1655

I still have close to 3 years of wood left over from last winter.

This year I have only had time to do 12 cords but it is all on pallets so I will be able to move it around with the tractor.  This will not be needed for 3-4 years

John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

MJD

I have 5 cord of black locust stacked and hope its enough for this winter, last year was the 1st time in 8 season to burn 5 cord. One thing I have noticed is a standing dead locust burns longer than a live cut trees for some reason, the land owner that lets me cut girdles the trees to kill them and they are nice and dry when I take them down but hard like a rock. I will start cutting for next season in a month or so.

SPD748

Quote from: Piston on August 08, 2014, 09:07:49 PM
Quote from: Holmes on August 08, 2014, 06:40:20 PM

Dana,
He could store it at MY house and I would STILL be behind on my wood production.  :D

You guys are inspiring me to really get going! After it's up and running I won't have an excuse to always be behind on the firewood pile. I imagine it will look something like this 

;D

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Piston

Quote from: MJD on August 10, 2014, 07:47:06 AM
I have 5 cord of black locust stacked and hope its enough for this winter, last year was the 1st time in 8 season to burn 5 cord. One thing I have noticed is a standing dead locust burns longer than a live cut trees for some reason, the land owner that lets me cut girdles the trees to kill them and they are nice and dry when I take them down but hard like a rock. I will start cutting for next season in a month or so.

That's some prime stuff right there!
-Matt

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

cutter88

Been so busy doing everyone's wood mine is being neglected only got about 5 face cord piled at home drying only need about 4 more ill be good for winter
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Thank You Sponsors!