iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hawks and doves

Started by Tom, March 16, 2009, 07:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I was sitting here at the computer and looking out of the window about dusk and the ground was covered with doves.  They have found something in the semi-green lawn to eat and there is one particular place that draws them.  I glanced at the monitor, still being able to see out the window and there was a flurry of action. I looked up to see doves going everywhere and my window darkened as a hawk flared out right in front of my face, trying not to hit the house.  Up over the roof he went and I think he was empty handed.

It's 7:30 now and the sun is well down.  It's still light enough out there to see some and the air has a greenish and reddish tint to it.  I guess it's from a sunset that is out of my field of view. Now and again, a hawk will fly across the yard at about 10 to 20 feet, headed west.  I don't know if it's the same one thinking that the doves must still be around here somewhere, or if he/they are hunting other game, like mice or rabbits. Hawks aren't much of a night fighter are they?   I figure they are taking advantage of the last of the light before the owls come out.  Owls are stealth fighters and cruise around in the night as if they had infra red vision. or RADAR.  Not a whisper from them unless you are standing within a few inches of their passage, and then you might hear the whoosh of their wings.

I've seen no deer, turkey or porch coons since hunting season.

ely

i would bet money the hawk is about to nest near your home tom. i have either an owl or hawk that is gonna nest near my house because the crows are there in force each morning to torment something.

SwampDonkey

I haven't been up to the woodlot near as much this winter as in the past few years. I always observed where a goshawk took a grouse once in awhile. I seen him last fall around, but haven't this winter. There seems to be a lot of hare around and I have a softwood dominated woodlot where they like to hang out. Planted rows make for good hunting to as they pass through waiting to flush game.  ;D  I have not seen any owls this winter, last year I saw a barred owl in a tree over hanging the road.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

The sky is threatening rain and it's the middle of the day. My front yard looks like a WWII strafing site.  The hawks started in on the doves this morning and must be after grasshoppers, or something I can't see.  They make a run North,at 5 feet, along the ditch line and disappear into the back yard where I guess they are alighting in a tree. Then, about 10 minutes later, back they come, Southward, at 2 foot, wings almost hitting the ground and bank to the west, crossing the yard they rise to 8 feet and alight in the Oak in front of my window.  A few minutes later, they are again headed South, diving to ground level for speed and then hanging it on the prop as they climb to 40 or 50 feet, turn to the north and either light in the top of the little live oak at the front of they yard or dive to ground level and make another strafing run to the backyard again.

It's good entertainment.  :D

SwampDonkey

Crows are interesting to watch to. I saw one today that had something white in it's grip. It dropped it from 100 feet up and descended in spiral fashion after the piece. It lit on the ground and about 2 secs later I seen the neighbor's dog coming at it in leap and bounds as it took off in flight again. The yard is full of birds, but the crows come here in pairs and usually 3 or 4 pairs. Today there were a lot of starlings around picking bugs off the spring snow. I usually have blue jays, juncos, chickadees and sometimes pine grosbeaks and goldfinches. When walking along the road there are usually a couple bunches of snow bunting that keep flying ahead as you walk up to them. Them snow buntings indicate to me it's not ready to warm up none too quick because they live in the cold and follow it back north.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

So, what did the crow have, something that belonged to the dog?  Crows are great for stealing and teasing.

Thank You Sponsors!