iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which sharpener? (for bandsaw blades)

Started by tonyg2k, September 16, 2020, 10:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonyg2k

Hi all;

My first post, thanks in advance and sorry if it repeats an old thread (though I don't see one).

I have a Woodland Mills HM 126, and clearly, a sharpener is needed :).  Any advice? What sharpeners do people have (that will suit these blades) and how do you like them?

Gere Flewelling

Welcome tonyg2k,  You will probably find there are many opinions on the subject of sharpeners here on FF.  I personally have a Cook's Cat Claw Sharpener, Dual Tooth Setter, and Band Roller.  I have been using them for going on 4 years now with good success.  I mostly only sharpen for myself, but have recently done some sharpening for others due to a local saw shop that has stopped sharpening band blades.  It was a big investment at the time, but has been a good one in my opinion.  I have never sent any blades out to be sharpened and have been able to saw any type of hard or soft wood I have put on my mill.  I would suggest you listen to others opinions (most everyone is passionate about the brand they purchased) before making a final decision as any decent sharpener will be a rather expensive investment.  I do believe you get what you pay for in the long run.  Good luck on your decision. GF
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Stephen1

Welcome to the Forum.
If you add your info , location, equipment, it helps others answer your questions.
If you are in the USA and only use a few blades a year, I would look at the Resharp service.
If you are in Canada, you need to buy your own Sharpening and Setting equipment, unless you can find someone that S&S blades nearby. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

farmfromkansas

I have been looking at sharpeners, the ones built in Europe appear to be light weight grinders, the Cooks is a heavy weight grinder.  Just not sure I can handle moving it around. Cooks does have a special priced combo price right now, think it includes free shipping.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

woodyone.john

Go with one that supports cbn wheels, do your self a favor. IMHO.
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

mrselfreliance

What about the woodland mills auto sharpener?  I'm just asking because I'm about to order a HM122 and was debating getting the sharpener with it.  

Stephen1

Quote from: mrselfreliance on September 20, 2020, 07:34:38 AM
What about the woodland mills auto sharpener?  I'm just asking because I'm about to order a HM122 and was debating getting the sharpener with it.  
If it has a CBN grinding wheel, it is worth looking at. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!