iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Mill

Started by Jager, March 21, 2015, 06:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jager

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums, and to sawing lumber in general. Looking at buying my first mill this summer and I am looking for input from the more experienced members here.

Been considering a Woodland Mills 722 as I have a front loader, so can handle moving the logs without the fancy hydraulics that some of the other models have...
http://woodlandmills.ca/product/722-portable-sawmill/

That being said, I am not looking to spend more than $5000 either new or used, thus limiting a lot of my options. The mill will be used mostly for soft woods, etc that I have on my 95 Acres near Hearst, Ontario.

I am unsure what mills will give me the best bang for my buck so to speak. Cheap is good if it'll last light use, I can always upgrade if I get into the hobby more than my current plans.

terrifictimbersllc

Welcome Jager.  That's one of the several mills many people speak of here at the investment level you're interested in.  I'm sure you'll hear an ear-full shortly.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jager

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 21, 2015, 06:34:08 PM
Welcome Jager.  That's one of the several mills many people speak of here at the investment level you're interested in.  I'm sure you'll hear an ear-full shortly.

Can't wait to hear all about the different models, as there seems to be a lot out there.

Jake-n-Texas

I just got my woodlands mill hm126 put together and sawed my first log ever today. If you chose to go with them you will be happy.

thecfarm

Jager,welcome to the forum. Your loader will help out a lot. But those logs can still make a big bang when you turn them. I do the same on my mill. Some I turn with a peavey,but the big ones I use the loader. Can you go to any show and look at mills?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jager

Quote from: Jake-n-Texas on March 21, 2015, 06:55:03 PM
I just got my woodlands mill hm126 put together and sawed my first log ever today. If you chose to go with them you will be happy.

Thing I like about the woodland mills is I can pick up at either the warehouse or head office without a hassle or shipping cost. And they are willing to throw in a some free gear as I'm still serving military so that is always enticing.

Quote from: thecfarm on March 21, 2015, 06:57:25 PM
Jager,welcome to the forum. Your loader will help out a lot. But those logs can still make a big bang when you turn them. I do the same on my mill. Some I turn with a peavey,but the big ones I use the loader. Can you go to any show and look at mills?

I am not sure where to find information on any shows, but I think that might be a very good idea to get a better handle on the differences. Maybe someone in Ontario wouldn't mind giving me a few lessons. Have beer and will travel.

When I spoke to the rep at Woodland they offered to show me around and explain the different mills and features when/if I come to the head office. Just give them a few days notice to make sure they have everything out for me to look at.

Magicman

There are many Woodland Mills owners here and I hear nothing but good from them, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Jager.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF Jager,

Since you are in Canada I would suggest
you look at a Norwood in Kilworthy ON, they have a manual mill in your price range I believe and Norwood is a FF sponsor.
or check Clarke sawmills in Lindsay, ON

Best
DGDrls

justallan1

Jager, welcome to the forum.
My recommendation would be to try to find someone with the mill you are looking into and see if you can't make a visit and check it out. If that's not possible try to find any and all mills in the same size range you want and visit them. There are a lot of mills that are basically the same, in my mind anyhow, and by visiting and seeing them run you will have the best chance at picking out what's going to work for you.

woodjunky

get a lightly used woodmizer lt15. I used a friend of mine and is basicly a mini lt40. i never used the other mills mentioned. :)

Magicman

Just scroll down the left margin and take a look.  All of the sawmill manufacturers that are FF sponsors make quality products.  Jeff chooses wisely.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jager

Thanks everyone for the imput, and keep it coming

Thank You Sponsors!