iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First piece of real furniture I made

Started by Brad_bb, September 08, 2014, 10:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

This is the first piece of actual furniture I've made.  I made this 18in x 18in x 20.5inH bedside table for my friend in assisted living.  I used black Walnut and a really white wood that might be maple or elm that I salvaged from a hardwood equipment pallet.  It mimics the walnut/sapwood contrast.  I didn't have enough Walnut boards with sapwood and then it hit me to mimic it.  I mixed old and new construction techniques.  The ends of the top are bread board with draw bored tapered poplar pegs.  You can see how I made the legs in the one photo.  I was very selective about the boards for the legs and rails to have some sort of figure.  I connected the legs to the rails with a combination of machine and hand cut mortise and tenon and draw bored tapered poplar pins.  My first wood working experience was a 2007 week long timberframe workshop.  I've learned all of my basic wood working skills through timberframeing.  I used General Finish EF High Performance Water based polyurethane in Gloss for a finish.  I used Kreg pocket screws to attach the base to the top. 

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Napoleon1

BCsaw

Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

giant splinter

roll with it

Ljohnsaw

Brad,
Looks great!  Are you planning on putting some furniture buttons on the bottom of the legs?  That will help prevent them from getting split when someone slides it around.  Those legs look pretty stout.  The only thing I would have done different is either eliminate the 1/2" (?) square block on the inside of the legs (you have plenty of glue surface to hold everything together, IMO) or used a triangle profile with only glue, no screws.

Love the contrast in the wood and the great figure.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Brad_bb

I agree with you ljohnsaw.  In retrospect, I would have done one of your two suggestions.  They are 3/4 x 3/4.  They aren't really noticeable with the table upright.  I'm surprised you spotted that.  I could always redo that later, but I have to get the table to my friend now though as I've been talking about it for too long and he wants it.   You know I couldn't just go quick and easy, I had to build a nice table.  I considered adding buttons, but the table is going on carpet right now, and I decided it's not necessary.  If it ever goes on a hard surface, I would add buttons for sure.

The pics don't do the figure justice.  Each rail has a different feature.  One has nice knot in the middle, one has a pattern like the rings of Saturn, and 2 have flame figure.  6 of the 8 legs have interesting patterns too.

Larry

A lot of thought went into the design of that table.  You did good Brad. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

LaneC

Nice table. I wished I were that talented. I tried to make a simple birdhouse for my wife once. Probably about 18" square. 3 trips to town and 100.00 later I gave up. That is a nice table and the thought of giving it to someone in need is very nice of you.
Man makes plans and God smiles

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

21incher

Looks great. I love to mix contrasting woods on projects. That banding around the top may give you some problems with seasonal humidity changes expanding and contracting the walnut top.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thechknhwk

WDH

It has to be a very satisfied and proud feeling to have made your first furniture project.  It is skill that many people do not have. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

Thanks guys.  I'm not really into making furniture per say, mostly into timber framing, but I want to do well in whatever I dedicide to do.  Regarding expansion of the top - Even though the pegs are draw bored in the direction with the grain, I slotted 3 of the 4 pegs of the breadboard'd ends in the direction perpendicular to the grain direction.  So it should be able to expand without damaging anything.

I post in hopes of inspiring someone else's project or giving some ideas.

WmFritz

I'll have to give you an A+ on your design and craftsmanship.
I love the contrast too and actually been wanting to build a 18' hand rail with walnut and either ash or maple.

Our woodworking shops look simular by the way. I have a tractor parked in mine too.  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

redbeard

Being able to do fine furniture joinery and timber joinery puts you in a special league. Nice work Brad.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Busy Beaver Lumber

You done good Brad. I like that table a lot and your choice in contrasting wood colors
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

mad murdock

That table displays some fine craftsmanship! Well done 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

I am sure that you friend is very proud.  Nice work.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Very nice, I showed it to my wife and now guess what she wants  :D.  I told her she's just gonna have to remarry to one of you guys with talent.

Thank You Sponsors!