iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this plant?**Solved** May Apple - Indian Apple - Wild Mandrake

Started by Wildflower, May 30, 2011, 08:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildflower

I have this growing in my flower garden, but I don't know what it is. If you know please tell me. ;D

Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Yep.

Podophyllum peltatum.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Wildflower

Hey guys thanks !!! This sounds like a really cool plant. I am looking forward to see the plant develop the flowers and finally the fruit. I am excited! ;D
Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

Texas Ranger

A lot of claims on medicinal value of the plant.  Your on your own. :P
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SPIKER

May Apples are everywhere in this area that trees are growing a good canopy   they like shade & cool wet areas.   flower in Ohio starting anytime now.   they will get small round apple looking fruits on them that are eaten by many wild critters.   the seeds are spread this way & grow more.   White flowers open up under the leaves & are very nice looking.  

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Jeff

I've noticed the plant growing in this spot the last 3 or 4 years but thought it was something Tammy planted. It never amounted to much. This year its really pretty neat. Apparently it's wild as we didn't plant it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pigman

It is May Apple, it will die in June.  :( ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Tom

Quote from: Jeff on May 30, 2011, 10:39:37 PM
This year its really pretty neat. Apparently it's wild as we didn't plant it.

It's taking over the Upper USA.  Introduced by an alien spacecraft during the hiatus following the Challenger catastrophe, it's purpose is to sneak into gardens and usurp the nutrients and space required for human supporting plants.  One day, when Michigan is thoroughly saturated, it will launch itself upon Canada, destroying the flora and fauna to provide a foothold for the advance of the alien society.  Advance troops have already been identified in New Brunswick.  I hear that some have already visited Michigan.  :)

RynSmith

I love the way they poke through the soil/duff all furled up and then slowly unfurl - I always considered them a harbinger of spring when they showed their tips.  :)

SwampDonkey

Don't have them in the Maritimes, only as far east as western Quebec.

The leaves remind me of acuminate aster that grow under the hardwoods. But the aster leaves are alternate and not whorled. But they will crowd at the top giving it a whorl appearance.

Also kind of have a peony appearance.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!