iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

grilled deer meat, just want to start preparing

Started by drobertson, August 31, 2012, 05:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

I did a search, and I hope no one sends me somewhere else, deer season is coming up, I have some good ways of cooking, just open to some other ways, will be at camp in just over a month, would love to bring it on.   thanks, david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Clam77

You found the right place David - and deer season is coming up fast for sure!!   Wouldn't mind having me a couple for the freezer this winter!!    ;)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

thecfarm

Just like I said on another post.I'm not too good with words. You'll have to bring the deer to me so I can show you how to do it.  :D  I'll leave a grill on for ya.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

What are your good ways? That you like, anyway.
And what ways do you not like?

I prefer venison with all the fat trimmed and it be de-boned.
For outdoor on the grill, I prefer 2" thick slices of loin, seared hot on all sides plus edges if possible. Remove from grill before the meat gets firm.
Pink on inside, juices held in.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

A favorite at deer camp was to take the inside tenderloins and sear them over a hot wood fire until just a bit past rare.

BBTom

Venison Skillet Supper

1-2 lb Venison Roast or Steak Sliced into thin strips in a 300 degree skillet with 2 tbs Olive oil. Salt and Pepper generously  Add
1 med to large Onion sliced thin
3-6 peppers mild to hot sliced thin according to your tastes  I like mine a bit spicy!
4-6 medium potatoes peeled and chunked. 

Let simmer til taters are cooked.  I like mine with Bread and butter. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Magicman

Take a knife and stick it all of the way through a loin roast.  Insert a smoked sausage through the hole.  Wrap loin with bacon and secure with toothpicks.  Cook using your favorite smoking recipe.

When serving, each slice will have a slice of smoked sausage in the center.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Weekend_Sawyer

Wow MM, that sounds good. Think I'll have to try that on the BGE this year.

I like taking a roast off of the ham, I don't know what the muscle groups are called but when I butcher I separate all the large muscles and trim membrane and sinew. For steak I slice these about 1" thick, simple marinate: Salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil and mabe a splash of terayake (spell checker couldn't figure out that one!) cook on the grill with a couple chunks of hickory on the coals.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

drobertson

I just wish I could have waited before posting  the juices are to start flowing, made the drive to our camp site today between rain bands, and now it is on.  I like any loin,  I seperate them while processing them myself cut thick like beenthere, seasoned with cavenders greek seasoning, wrapped with bacon on wood fire, pink and juicy. Better than rib-eye,(my opinion)  Or take any loin,seasoned, loaded with whatever you like, wrapped with bacon in a foil bag, onions peppers butter cooked like a jiffy pop slow for two hours or so. Tators,  Okra, Maters,  Campfire, and friend and family,   Boys, this is getting bad.  14 Days til bow season here,   Have a great Labor Day brothers,, peach pie is done,  got to go. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sparky1

bacon wrapped tenderloin on the grill!!! mmmmm...   I love the deer taste though, so i also like any of the meat (steaks, chops burgers) just grilled up.  For roasts I just cook them the way I would with beef, on a slow cooker with potatoes and what ever other veggies you prefer in a crock pot.
Shaun J

beenthere

Just read about the Chinese restaurant in KY that got caught hauling a road-kill deer into their kitchen. Customers saw the large garbage can with legs and tail sticking out. Closed the restaurant.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2211370/Customers-watch-horror-staff-Chinese-restaurant-wheel-bloody-deer-carcass-kitchen-garbage-bin.html

Guess they now can't open until they clean the place up and get it inspected.  :o :o
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

This will give anyone an appetite for some sweet and sour,   just awful,

Magicman

They caught the one here serving Largmouth Bass.  The owner did not know that he was illegally buying bass instead of catfish.  He had to close for several months.

My thoughts were that if anyone should have been in trouble it should have been the seller.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Why is it that bass are illegal to sell?  they sell walleye, catfish, and all sorts of snapper and the like.  I like to cook and eat bass, even as much as catching them.  I guess there has to be some regulations or they might be all caught out?   What about farm raising them? I never have thought about this from a marketable stand point. I have a pond, but I like to catch and release these.  all this said, fish is allot better than cat, or dog, and as far as the deer goes, I can only imagine what the chinesse recipes can do with this. 

Magicman

Yup, All member of the Sunfish family are classified as "game" fish here and can not be sold, even if pond raised on your property.  Some game animals can be sold under certain conditions.  For example raccoon can be sold, but you have to leave a foot on it.

jdtuttle

Here's how I cook my back straps. Trim all fat & grill over high heat, maybe 30 seconds each side. Next I cut rare steak into bite size pieces. Add some fresh garlic & butter in a pan & sear the steak. Don't overcook, it should be med. rare. Great as a sandwich or with vegetables.
jim
Have a great day

drobertson

thanks Jd, this sounds like a good one to me, and will give me a chance to try out the new descada I put together, we do most of our cooking over wood fire at camp so this will work out perfectly.  Sounds like a good time to try out the deer fajitas, 

Thank You Sponsors!