iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodland Saw mill

Started by Kauff44, May 24, 2017, 11:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kauff44

Anyone own a Woodland band saw HM130? looking at getting one just for self use. i am selling my Circular saw to purchase this. Just need some opinion on what you all think. Trying to stay inexpensive cause im using it just for me not to make money. let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Thanks, God Bless

Jeff

The forum search will give you hours and hours of info to read on this very question.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

btulloh

I've had the hm126 for two years and happy with it and the company. The 130 looks like it's well worth the extra $$$.  Some hm130 guys will chime in shortly no doubt. Like Jeff said, a quick search will help too.  Good luck with your shopping and welcome to the forum.
HM126

ChugiakTinkerer

I'm happy with my HM130.  It's my only mill ever so nothing to compare to.  It starts, it saws, it doesn't complain.  I am very impressed with the responsiveness of Woodland Mills when it comes to customer service.  So much so I just bought a Woodland ATV Trailer.  I pick it up from the freight depot this afternoon. 
Woodland Mills HM130

fishfighter

I too am a owner of a 126 for two+ years. I saw for myself and it gets the job done. The 130 which came out after when I bought my mill, looks even better for the money. Many upgrades to the mill. I'm jelly. ;D

One of the big things about Woodland is their support after the sale. I'm proud to say in these times that they stand behind what they sell. Even support after the mills go out of warranty. Heck, I needed a bit of help on mine. One call and talked to tech support. I had answers and sure enough, they sent me the parts I needed for free to fix what the problem was. ;D Not to many companies do that anymore. :(

Give them a call. They will answer every question you have. There are a bunch of owners of Woodland mills here.

Briankinley2004

I have the 130 and so far so good. Had a couple issues along the way and their support team was very responsive. Glad I got the 130. The extra hp and width is worth it. I have maxed it out on several occasions and wished I had bigger

Kauff44

Thanks all. i appreciate the info. looks like the old Circular saw is going up for sale and getting a band saw!! 8)
Thanks, God Bless

DanMc

I have the HM126.  So far, so good.  Of course it's the only mill I've owned.  The price was right and it does the job. 
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

Bert

Just curious why your selling the circle mill?
Saw you tomorrow!

Kauff44

Bert
I'm selling my circular mill because I have a hard time finding someone to help with the tail saw. I cut one board walk around the power unit stack it come back rest log and start over. I could saw a little quicker alone with a band saw mill. Granted if I had two people I could saw much quicker with the circular. I do enjoy sawing with it it just hard to run alone.
Thanks, God Bless

Bricklayer51

Kaff how often do you saw? on weekends or during the week.

MbfVA

Be sure you look at the videos on the Woodland Mills site. They are the best I have seen for pure informative values.  I love the one about the ATV trailer they sell.  Wood-mizer, Norwood, all of them should watch these videos and think about what they're putting out there.

Cooks, for example, is good too but not as crisp or to the point as Woodland's presenter.  Woodland's guy speaks as a pleasant instructor on how to set up and use the product, more than as a salesman.  That's what I want, super clear and concise.  No hidden jump cuts, either, which makes things longer but very informative.  His photos of the mill are great, even including a diagram with dimensions.

He did leave off the throat width, however.  I would be hoping to cheat the board cut width to 24" for countertops if I owned one, beyond the proffered 23".  Apparent some mill users take off the blade guides as a last resort, but I would worry about safety, etc.  Cut width seems like the main disadvange of a swing blade.  A slabber attachment could save the day, tho' with slow cutting and bigger kerf, from what I've seen.

If Woodland Hills sold a hydraulic unit with trailer, etc, I would be looking at them, though I have been concentrating on swing blade mills for the moment.

Required disclaimer when I give the appearance of knowing what I am talking about--it's based on my research and listening only, not experience.
www.ordinary.com (really)

clintnelms

Had my HM126 for probably a year and a half or so and love it. Get the HM130 and you'll be happy for sure.

Kauff44

Quote from: Bricklayer51 on May 28, 2017, 02:05:39 PM
Kaff how often do you saw? on weekends or during the week.

It's hard to say. Depends on what I have for logs. If I have a bunch I will saw all week after work. Sometimes it sits for a month.
Thanks, God Bless

Bricklayer51

I always got a project going on but if you give me a call a couple days ahead of time I could tail for awhile.

Thank You Sponsors!