iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new parts for old mill

Started by woodbe, April 11, 2011, 12:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbe

Life is good when the sun starts to come back to your neck of the woods. This last week I had a friend of mine make me up some new rollers for my Burg band mill. I got the mill used and have never seen a new one up close and in person so I cant say how the rollers are made now but my old ones left some room for improvement. So that is what we did.
After getting them installed I was surprised at how well it moves back and forth. I also think it will make a better cut now.

The first set were made up of a center that had one bearing pressed in to it and 2 fender washers that were drilled and screwed together. That rode on a 3/8  bolt and had jam nuts holding the bearing and roller in place. The new roller is just a little wider than the original but has 2 bearings per roller and is of better steel and has a better axel shaft. The axel can use some changes but is good for now. Just thought I would do my part for show and tell. I
got a picture of the old and new roller. The old ones were bent on the top and bottem. Or is it sides?  ;D

Woodbe

bandmiller2

Good show Woodbe,what size motor do you have on your bandmill,do you consider it big enough? Is a Berg mill made local to your area ,first one I've seen. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

Seems odd to see that electric motor on top of it. Can really hear the blade saw.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodbe

The motor is very small 5hp and needs to be replaced. I had a 10hp lined up but when I got to looking it didn't have a 208V tap. So I am back in the search for a motor. The mill came with the motor that is on it now. I would like to go as big as I can with out putting to much weight on the lift part of the mill. From what I can tell the mill can be ordered with a 24hp gas motor so I should be able to put a 125 lb motor on with out having a problem. For the other question yes they are made in Oregon on the coast by a small shop. I have never been there and have only called them one time. One other guy on the board here got one. Mine works well for the work that I do. Most is just for my own lumber with a few small jobs on the side. I will set up an auto feed some day and am looking in to a log turner. I will post pics of what ever I end up with.

Woodbe

bandmiller2

Woodbe,I am assuming that its a single phase motor on your mill. Ten hp single phase motors are a rare bird.What if you added anouther 5 hp motor same speed.You could start one at a time to reduce the start up load.Say put a 4" four groove pulley on your origional motor and a 4" two groove on the second motor and tie them togather.Motor could be on the opposite side to balance the load.I don't know for sure but it should work. Frank C.

woodbe

You are correct. It is a single phase 240V motor. So as of right now I am using the 2 110V legs of a 208 3 phase service. It all works ok but would work better with a bigger motor. I think that I will brake down and just get one soon instead of scrounging for one. After all you never know what you will have with used. I figure with a bigger motor that it will have to set more to the center of the mill and front to back as well. So it will need some sort of shaft on bearings to line up the belts. That should not be too hard to make. Well all in good time I guess.

Woodbe

bandmiller2

Woodbe, your in tall clover if you have three phase power available.I converted my bandmill from a two cylinder wisconsin gas to 20hp three phase best thing I ever did plenty of power for the mill and to drive a hydraulic pump.Their are alot of three phase motors around as most folks don't have that service. Frank C.

kelLOGg

Woodbe,
Frank is spot on about the tall clover (except it should be "tall cotton" ;D). You are indeed lucky to have 3 phase. I went to a lot of trouble to make a rotary converter to produce it. Get on eBay or Craigslist and search for them. That can be had cheap. I bought a 7.5HP for $17.50 but the shipping killed me at $50. Still cheap.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!