iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new tractor/chains or no chains

Started by BCinVT, December 31, 2010, 05:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCinVT

First of all,a Happy New Year to all. 8)
Now to the question.Just bought a new Kubota L3700,and was wondering if any of you have experience with whether or not to run chains on the tires.And whether to run just 2 or all 4.My land is pretty steep with quite a bit of mud in places.Course right now there's about 16" of snow covering most of it.Ended up getting the tractor because ,I can"t even get my ranger into my woodlot right now.I do have loaded back tires on the tractor,as well as a bucket.So just looking for some insight from some of you more experienced guys.Thanks
I don't think I know it all. I know enough to ask now.To bad it took so long to figure that out:)

Holmes

I put chains on the front of my Massey 1225. They made a huge difference getting thru snow.  I just pulled out some of my dads old chains to make a pair for the front  of the kubota B3030.   My brother lives up by you on Buck Hollow Rd. what a beautiful area.  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

Dakota

I just put rear chains on my Kubota L3010.  We were logging in about 10" of snow over the Thanksgiving break.  Couldn't have done much of anything without them.  I didn't feel I needed any chains on the front end.  Probably going to cost you $300 or so unless you can find some used ones.

Dakota
Dave Rinker

beenthere

Best to at least have the chains on hand.

Whether you need them will depend completely on what snow conditions (ranges from none to powder to ice) you have, and what temperatures too (factor mud into that equation as well). 

Sometimes R-4's work well without chains, sometimes well with only the rears chained up, sometimes (as of late) with only the front wheels chained, and last winter when deep 20"+ snow needed both rear and front chained.

Best I can offer for you. Good luck.  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BCinVT

Thanks for the info.Holmes,I used to live right off Buck Hollow Rd. on Rood mill.Sold my old house to my son last year.
Does anyone have any idea of where I can buy the chains,other than from Kubota.They want about 500 for them.Once again,thanks
I don't think I know it all. I know enough to ask now.To bad it took so long to figure that out:)

celliott

You could probably find chains at a Labonvilles store, although, I dont know if they'll be any cheaper than kubota.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Reddog

Here are the two places I have used in the past for tractor chains.

http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/tractor-tire-chains.html

http://www.tirechain.com/TractorChainmenu.htm

They where the most cost effective at the time.

Dave Shepard

I run rear chains on my Kubota. I can go places in 2wd that I couldn't even think of going in 4wd without them. I'll probably be putting them on this weekend.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bill m

This photo shows the chains I run on my tractor.

I bought them from Labonville. I just bought chains for the front tires and will be installing them tomorrow.
Other sources for chains are Global Forestry in New Hampshire, Ken Jones Tire in Ma., Northeast Equipment in N.Y. Good chains are expensive but worth every penny. Mine are 8 years old and show almost no wear and have not had any links break yet.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

BCinVT

Thanks for the info everyone.Looks like I"ll be ordering a set of chains early next week.Now to decide on what type to get.Like bill m. says I guess I"ll get what I pay for,so I'm goin to go with,either a Duo Ladder V-bar,or possibly a Duo Ladder. Will let you know how they work out.

Piston

What are the main advantages or disadvantages of the chains that have the studs sticking out vs. the ring style chain with no stud? 
Do the chains with the studs ever puncture or damage the tires?
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

bill m

No problems with the studs - they stay upright and do not damage the tires. On very hard frozen ground or ice the ring chains will spin a lot easier than the studded will. Four years ago I was using a JD 548G with new ring chains front and rear and my tractor with the studded rear chains and my tractor would climb hills the skidder could not. Any chains are better than no chains but IMHO the studded are best.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Peter Drouin

You git what you pay for. american iron like JD will go through 5+ feet of snow with no chains. but if you do chain up OOOOO look out , :D :D will go anywhere !   :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Hotrod RLC

thanks fellows for your info . i got 4wd jd and a set 20 inch snow chains which will fit front 4 wd tires  never thought of putting them on front  you are never to old to learn  

DaleK

I run chains on the front of my 140 hp Massey, 14.9R28. I don't have much trouble moving without them on but steering is another story so the chains make a big difference
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

fluidpowerpro

On frozen ground you will definitely want chains.  
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

sawguy21

I couldn't run chains on the rear of the Kubota BX without wheel spacers, I put them on the front as the R4 tires were next to useless on our steep driveway. They helped but I could never get them to stay on.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jdock

I'm running a set of repurposed road grader chains on the back tires of my 2wd 1966ish Ford 3000. My land is steep and often muddy, and the chained up Ford has no problem with it, and is far more capable than the much more modern 4wd Kubota that I had been using, although the Kubota didn't have chains and it wasn't mine so I wasn't quite as abusive to it either. Point is that chains, even worn out ones make a huge difference.

Thank You Sponsors!