iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I come from a long line of Woodworkers

Started by Don P, January 15, 2024, 06:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

And so do you  :)

Researchers in 2019 dug up some preserved logs and wooden "tools". They have been dated as the current earliest known case of worked joinery, a pair of chopped, notched logs found in wet silt along a river in southeastern Africa. 476,000 years old  :o

This is the article in Nature;
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-06557-9

Well you know what I'm skimming the article for. That's better than locust, what species  :D!
Combretum zeyheri, Bushwillow
And someone has already updated the entry on Wikipedia;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combretum_zeyheri

And
K. Africana, Kigelia
This one is more treelike, the most remarkable thing is the falling 15lb fruit can be lethal.

On our soil, they found stone tools on a site in eastern OR that was buried under ash from an eruption of Mt St Helens. That eruption was 15,000 years ago but they have since dated the finds to 18,000 years ago. Neat!

Southside

Quote from: Don P on January 15, 2024, 06:57:47 PMOn our soil, they found stone tools on a site in eastern OR that was buried under ash from an eruption of Mt St Helens. That eruption was 15,000 years ago

Wow - doesn't seem like it was that long ago, I still remember seeing it on the news.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Apparently there was more than one. :D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

JRWoodchuck

Don do you have any info on the Eastern Oregon article? I'd love to read it as well!
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

SwampDonkey

Depending on how you lived there might be a more developed craft of wood working. Here in the NE it was a nomadic life. There have never been much for structures found and not all that old because wood and hide rots out in the elements. On the west coast were they actually made solid buildings, there are still remnants of totems and buildings at traditional village sites. Many have been destroyed in conflicts with European settlers. Anything that was written down was likely destroyed in recent history, in an attempt to erase the culture and any knowledge they had. The Spanish are well known for it, you can bet they weren't the only ones doing it. A lot of times the native priests or shamans recorded the knowledge and were the educators. We are told some never had a written language or alphabet. It's more likely those people were killed off and written medium destroyed. Life can be brutal.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!