iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Joining corner post to sills issue

Started by apratti, April 12, 2017, 11:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apratti

Hi. Thanks for inviting me to this great forum.
I am working at repairing an 1826 livery barn. All construction is post and beam work that had some water damage to the corner posts and sills from a leaky roof. I noticed that ONE corner posts and sills were never connected because the footer and plinth where too high above the ground (above sill level).  Everything else was connected correctly / workable.
I want to reinstall a new 12" corner post, but I cannot remove the footer or plinth from their location because: 1. they are enormous, 2. they are being shared with an adjacent corner post for another connected barn. The plinth is higher (14" above sill base) because the adjacent barn's foundation is higher. So this livery barn I'm working on has one crazy corner. No sloping or shifting has occurred during the entire life of this corner. Everything was still touching, just not connected.
I can connect my sills to the corner post, but I'm hesitant to using a metal corner bracket to meet the sills with the post. Any ideas, or should I just use the metal bracket and take one for the team? Everything else in the job will be wood joinery (no metal).
The barn is 1-1/2 story, 16'x 28' dry stone foundation.
Thanks for your time.
A Pratti

Jim_Rogers

A picture showing the situation would help to understand what you're trying to do.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Oliver05262

I have no idea how to help you, but this sounds interesting. Could you please keep us posted as you go along and PLEASE put up some pictures.
Probably this would be better put in the Timber Framing forum ???
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

apratti

Hey thanks. Yes I realized I posted it in the wrong category so I sent it to Framing. I will send some pics shortly. Thanks again!
Amalio

apratti

Thanks Jim. I'll get them to you today.

apratti

Sorry Jim. I cannot upload any photos to this. An error is preventing me from adding any pics/albums to the webpage. (Error:
Sorry there is no album where you are allowed to upload files).
Even tried making an album!

Without any images, it's hard to advise, I'm sure. But I'll try to elaborate: the sills cannot connect together because of the huge plinth is directly in the path of the joint (that's good) and higher than the joint (that's bad).
Here's the positive:  I can connect the corner post to the adjacent barn's corner post with all-thread bolts. This will secure the post. No shear weight on the bolts, just tied in to prevent lateral pushing and pulling on the beam.

If that helps explain it, It's the sills that I worry about.
Can the sills be bracketed to my corner post sitting snug on the plinth via the sides of the post?

On level, how much moving will they do if I bracket them to the secured post? (No upstairs flooring - just 8" tie beams to the plate beams and a metal roof)
Thanks for your help. Hope I gave you the correct info, Jim
A Pratti

Jim_Rogers

Did you follow all the picture posting rules and instructions?
You may need to reduce them in size before you upload them.
find the instruction page if you haven't already.

Or email the pictures to me.
And I'll post them.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!