iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer MP100

Started by Cory, November 11, 2011, 10:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I'm only going to have it set up for another 4 weeks, or until I finish going through all my material.  Could be longer depending on how many days a week we can get in.  It's not nearly as fast as a 4 sided beam planer, but the costs are not comparable either.  I'm averaging 1.75 beams per hour.  it sounds slow.  We can do 2 beams per hour easily as long as we don't run into any problem, like nails or broken off screws.  Changing blades slows you down as does pulling the nail when you find one.  We denailed these, but the metal detector does miss stuff like small broken off screw tips, very rusty nails.  It is a nice capability to have.  I'm doing these beams for myself.  I'm glad I have this planer.  I'm not sure how it would pay for itself if I had to given the time/labor involved.  Maybe it would, I just don't know.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

jueston

what special precautions are you taking handling/flipping the beams after they are planed? it seems to me that they would get banged up really easily after its planed, and that with that being the finished surface, you'd have to be careful.

Brad_bb

I am careful with the forklift, not to bang the tips into them.   They are hardwood so they don't dent easy like softwood.  I Stack 4 8x8's and then two stickers (2  pine 2x4's screwed together) on top, then 4 more beams.  I stack about 5 rows high.  It's plenty of room to get the forks in between to lift one layer at once.  On the ground/gravel I have treated 6X6's to get them a little higher off the ground.  They are not getting any marks from moving them with the forklift.

Brad_bb

Found a pic of the day I picked up my LT15GO and MP100 in Indy in April 2014.

Thank You Sponsors!