iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some Quartersawn white oak WDH and I cut.

Started by customsawyer, December 28, 2009, 02:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Quote from: Dan_Shade on January 05, 2010, 08:26:47 PM
Also having a lot less skill tends to get others to do the work  :D :D

Dan, that pretty much describes me  :)

Jake has a fine set-up with all the support equipment necessary to handle really big logs efficiently.  He also has the skill the saw them. 

One thing that I learned is that I do not have the support equipment necessary to handle really big logs!  In my case, acquiring the skill to saw them is easier than acquiring the support equipment necessary to saw them  :).  A strong back is not suitable support equipment  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Danny, if you're ever gonna have suitable support equipment, now would be the time to buy.  They're just about giving backhoes away down here.  The JD410b in Quincy has been dropped to $7500.  There's a 555b Ford in Dothan for $8500, and I saw a decent looking JD310 by the road with a sign on it yesterday.  Don't know what they're asking for it though.  When construction starts coming back, these deals are gonna disappear in a hurry.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Don K

I want a good used backhoe. It would be the versatile tool around the homeplace. With a set of forks, bucket and the backhoe there ain't much you couldn't accomplish. Just can't figure out where to find the money. I need to hurry and get the mill on the road earning its keep. ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

customsawyer

In looking for pictures for Doc today I stumbled up on this. For those that have been to my place for the projects, this was the first log WDH and I gave quartersawing a try. As you can see there wasn't even a shed over us. The blade shop isn't there. We were just two dudes out in the elements with some equipment trying to figure out what in the world we were doing. If memory serves Danny didn't have a kiln yet, so we were both trying to figure out where we could get it kiln dried to maximize the value of the lumber. As some will notice there was lots of mistakes made in this process. I promise Danny wouldn't let me send him home with 8/4 X 27+ wide slabs with the pith still in them now. It was great to go back and reread this.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

KenMac

I certainly enjoyed reading this thread. I didn't  notice the date until well into it. Thanks for bringing it back to the top. I've read much more than normal for the last week or so. Both my wife and I have COVID and have been quarantined together, but at opposite ends of the house. Luckily, it had not been a big deal for me and she's not much worse. By the end of the week maybe things will be back to normal here.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

caveman

Jake, I appreciate you bringing attention to this thread.  I have learned a lot from many who chimed in on the previous pages and consider several really good friends even though I do not see them often enough.  Your place has evolved quite a bit since you and Danny sawed the white oak that started this topic.  

Ever since I have been attending your annual project I look forward to seeing old friends, meeting new ones, admiring your new equipment and learning from all of the knowledgeable folks who attend.  It is also a welcomed diversion from the normal routine.

Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!