iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pex pipe "grows"

Started by simonmeridew, November 17, 2008, 10:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonmeridew

I installed an outdoor boiler this summer/fall and it works great. The only issue that I didn't plan on is that the 1" Pex tubing that I plumbed from the boiler to the heat exchanger is considerably longer than when I installed it. There's  straight sections of hot and return that are  about 40 feet long, and they seem to have "grown" about a foot since the water got hot inside. The boiler temp is running about 170 deg.
I'm thinking I need to reduce a section by maybe 9 inches, but I want to get the length right since I need to shut down the boiler and the tubing is full of water. I don't want to have to do it again.
Any suggestions? What's the expansion per foot or otherwise for this stuff?
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

Ianab

If you shorten the pipe you may have a problem when you shut the boiler down, the pipe could shrink again.

Maybe put in a couple of 'U' shaped expansion sections in the run. That will let the pipe move as needed with temp changes.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

I have heard of steam boilers that use 4 inch metal pipe doing this at a pallet mill,but pex pipe? I put my in last year and have no problems at all and I have 3 heat excahngers and my water temp is about 180-185°.Like they say,I don't understand that at all.Most times with me,if someone will have problems,it's always me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

farmerdoug

Pex pipe will difinitly grow and shrink with hot and cold.  It is the nature of plastic piping.  Do not shorten your pex when it is hot or it will pull out when it shrinks as it cools.  You just have to allow for the expansion in your design.  A couple of 90 degree eblow will put the expansion where you want it to be.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Thank You Sponsors!