iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Cherry

Started by Pete and Jesse, September 10, 2019, 03:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

@Pete and Jesse , Cherry beams for timber framing.  Both square beams and live edge(cut on two sides only) like don P is showing.  Posts, braces, beams etc.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

Quote from: moodnacreek on September 12, 2019, 09:12:53 AMM.M. , You certainly have your own language to describe log sawing.  For at least 100 years.....
I have no idea where that came from because admittedly I have not been around for 100 years.....yet.  Most all of the terms that I use are found in the FF Dictionary above, and all have been gleaned from my experiences while sawing as well as here on the FF.

I though that I explained very well and it is certainly common knowledge here on the FF that I only custom saw for customers and my sawing is geared toward fulfilling their expectations.  In no way have I ever represented myself or my sawing as being the correct or the only way to saw.  It's only one way.  As explained in the "LINK", the turning, face opening, and sawing examples shown were only to provide an example of a way to prevent a log's pith check from ruining lumber and thereby reducing the log's yield.  In the examples shown every board was utilized because the board face opposite the check was clear of any signs of the pith check.

Yes a board, especially a fresh sawn Cherry board that splits apart at the pith will curl toward the bark and my reference to it looking like a banana peel was not too far off.  This experience is what taught me to always orient the logs pith check perpendicular to the blade for the first face opening which would put it horizontal to the blade for the saw through thereby eliminating the possibility of the boards splitting at the pith.

I apologize if my terminology is foreign and not easily understood by your standards, but I can assure you that I strive to use correct English and punctuation to make my contribution here on the FF meaningful to those reading it. 

Now, let's talk about Grits.   ;D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I could and do understand the banana peel reference. I hope I never see one come off my mill. I don't saw much hardwood,so I might just make it. And I don't saw alot. What I have sawn on my mill some saw in a month.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Pete and Jesse

Quote from: Brad_bb on September 12, 2019, 07:20:26 PM
@Pete and Jesse , Cherry beams for timber framing.  Both square beams and live edge(cut on two sides only) like don P is showing.  Posts, braces, beams etc.

My limited experience with logs is seeing them as timber and firewood.  Those beams you made I would have just turned into firewood.  If nothing else everyone's suggestions will cause me to look at crotched, crooked and short logs differently. Thank you.

moodnacreek

Using hardwood forks for decorative posts might be ok but if you have a choice use white pine or cedar as the hardwood may split apart in time.

doc henderson

Quote from: Pete and Jesse on September 13, 2019, 07:58:31 AM

My limited experience with logs is seeing them as timber and firewood.  Those beams you made I would have just turned into firewood.  If nothing else everyone's suggestions will cause me to look at crotched, crooked and short logs differently. Thank you.
It can be a curse.  my neighbor comes over to have an intervention occ. and take wood scraps off my floor to make bowls and such.  I then take buckets of the scraps he did not want and are left over out to the burn barrel, but am not above snagging something back to save in case it is needed.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Don P

Quote from: moodnacreek on September 13, 2019, 08:10:33 AM
Using hardwood forks for decorative posts might be ok but if you have a choice use white pine or cedar as the hardwood may split apart in time.
Typically wood checks to the heart and relieves that radial/tangential drying stress we've been talking about. It is pretty rare for a timber containing the heart to check through. The check will usually adhere to the rule of least work and pick the shortest or easiest path from that surface to heart. As always, the more you can season it before use the better, it'll show you its intentions.

Brad_bb

Quote from: moodnacreek on September 13, 2019, 08:10:33 AM
What?  Sorry, never seen that happen.  A lotta frames with crotch/forked timbers, and I've never seen a problem.  Regarding Cedar, I would not advise using cedar in a timberframe, too light, not strong enough.  White pine, no problem as long as it's sized appropriately.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

donbj

"I apologize if my terminology is foreign and not easily understood by your standards, but I can assure you that I strive to use correct English and punctuation to make my contribution here on the FF meaningful to those reading it. "

You have nothing to apologize for. You are a very valuable contributor.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Ed_K

When I was building my cabin yrs ago I pulled some cherry 4/4 boards out of the hay barn at the farm to make cabinet doors out of. After cutting the white wood off an glueing two boards together. I put a finish on them and hung them, in a couple of months they had shrank half an inch. drying for 5 yrs in a hay barn didn't do me any good they should have gone right to a kiln instead of the hay barn. But hey what do a couple of young farmers know (we milked cows) ;D.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!