iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl bars on husky saws ?

Started by sharp-shod, October 05, 2010, 11:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharp-shod

Hey,

Stihl chain eats up the Husky (Oregon) bars on my saws - esp. the tips - always deburring bars.  Are there Stihl bars that will fit Huskys ? Do you guys bother greasing your replaceable tips ? Seems to be six of one half dozen 'tother. Didn't grease for years - been greasing last year or so - see no difference.

Be careful out there ! Just lost a young man in his late 30's that I broke in twenty years ago - turned his back on his cut and walked directly away - widow-maker got him in the back of the head - 4 kids - tragic.

Thanks

JohnG28

Welcome to the forum Sharp-shod.  That is some really terrible news indeed.  As for your issue, I don't believe that a stihl bar will fit on a husky. I have seen adapters in Bailey's for such, but can't remember if it changes stihl to fit husky or vick versa.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Rocky_J

You would most likely need to drill out the oil hole to line up as well as shim the bolt studs so the bar fits more snug. I've had great luck with GB Titanium bars but it seems GB lost their distributor for North America a couple years ago. I scavenged up a couple leftovers last year but when they're gone I'm going to be in the same boat. I've never had much luck with Oregon bars (or chain), too soft.

hlhill

Baileys sells a "Bar Adapter Plate" for about $10.00. It allows you to mount a Stihl bar on a Husky.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. You can never be too careful out there when your in the woods. I've have lots of Beetle Killed Pine trees to harvest. Some of them are 3 feet in diameter and 70 or 80 feet tall...or more. A strong wind can blow them down...break them off...or hang them in other trees. Watch your 6 O'clock. 

DonT

Just wondering are you running .50 stihl chain on a .58 husky or oregon bar? :)

John Mc

Quote from: DonT on October 05, 2010, 09:11:55 PM
Just wondering are you running .50 stihl chain on a .58 husky or oregon bar? :)

Good one! I'd forgotten about that. Around here, it seems most people running Husky/Jonsered saws are using .058" bars and chains. For whatever reason the Stihl ompany just doesn't seem to like that gauge. Everyone Stihl saws around here is using either .050 or .063.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

I have a roll of .058 Stihl chain which I sometimes run on my Huskies.
Stihl sells clips to put over Husqvarna bar studs to adapt Stihl bars. I got a bag of them. But to fit a Stihl bar on a Husky depending on the model may need a new hole drilled for the tensioner. Huskies have a longer bar pad area then Stihls. Stihl did the smart thing to save room in that area by leaning their cylinders back at an angle, enabling a larger muffler , less room needed for the bar and the drive sprocket closer to the log.
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Ed

I've got the Baileys adapter to run Stihl bars on Husky/J-red saws. The adjuster hole on the bar needs to be drilled out. The slot should be lengthened too, it's a pita to put the bar/chain on the saw.
I don't use a Stihl bar on my 2171 very often, it's more of a backup than anything else since I have more Stihls than Husky/J-reds.

FWIW, I've never had problems with excessive bar wear from different brands of chain, try running the chain a little looser. Make sure you use a good quality bar oil also.

Ed

HolmenTree

I never had problems running Stihl chain on Oregon bars or vice versa.

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!