iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber frame shop/pole barn

Started by kiko, June 26, 2013, 06:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiko

On march 2 my wife( 37 years old) had a massive stroke. She had to have part of her skull removed and has gone through intensive therapy at the Shepard spinal clinic in Atlanta. I am proud to say she is making an excellent recovery, but still has a long way to go. While she was in the hospital a storm came through and took out 30 or so large pine trees on our property . We will return home for good this Friday . After four months I need to go back to work, but will not be able to be very far from the house as she still needs my help with certain daily functions. So I need help from you guys to design a timber frame pole barn that will allow for the hanging of two steel beams for a one and half ton over head crane.  The crane need not cover the entire structure, but about the size of a one car garage and two more same size without crane. I will not have whole machines in here but rather just components as they will be pulled at the main shop in town. I know this is vague , but discussions and questions will help fine tune it. The storm trees were taken done by straight line wind and not twisted off. I look forward to ideas. Thanks, Keith

Jim_Rogers

Start with a floor plan showing dimensions, doorways, bay area for the crane, windows and whatever you can think of to put down on paper.

If you can, take a picture of the drawing and post it here. We'll keep at it until your design is done.

Take care of that lady, her health comes first.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

DaleK

Which way do you want the beams oriented and how much span? Could you double them as door headers on a drive through bay?
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

pineywoods

Kiko, I can't help with the barn, but likely can with the support for the wife. Went through the same thing 14 years ago, still have to be there 24/7. Feel free to pm me if I can help, I've learned a few things in those 14 years.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

kiko

Thanks guys, will get some preliminary drawings posted when I get home. I am working off an iPad now and don't know how to transfer pics with it.

Thank You Sponsors!