iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WUI Small Parcel Fuel Treatment and Forest Management

Started by xkiwi, November 06, 2021, 12:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xkiwi

A thread on small parcel (3-15acres) fuel treatment and forest management  in WUI.
In NORCAL Sierra foothills mostly 2nd generation pine and a lot of suppressed live oak that grows like weeds but starves everything for light. Steep terrain so all manual falling, cable /rope skidding to landing zone for processing -firewood and chipper. No commercial value timber. Heavy string based weedeater and mattock for blackberry, broom and other invasives.

Currently I'm focused on thinning and crown separation but also thinking to restore the forest back to pine, black oak, Toyon berry, poison oak (lol) . Is this even realistic-not in my lifetime I know!. What, if anything, will inhibit the live oak and invasive -prescribed burns every  few years? The new normal for small parcels-neighbors will freak out until educated by FireWise Community

Looking for other folks experiences, strategies, methods and /or war stories - Bz and/or DIY
Old enough to know better but still confused

mike_belben

I dont know what WUI is but i know a blade on that trimmer is much much more efficient that a mattock or string.  

Glad youre getting in there and getting it done. We love pics, especially before n afters.
Praise The Lord

xkiwi

WUI Wildland Urban Interface = where weekend warriors meet Mother Nature

still mastering art of pix insert so may take a few posts....

xkiwi

phew! Photo insert worked...I think...

Basic Hand Tools (supplement  chainsaw, winch etc).

Found using a blade (toothed and/or wideblade) on weedwhacker kept hitting rocks, bouncing off stuff where-as thick line would tear thru brambles etc. Use a small chainsaw with trashed chain for the thicker stuff at ground level. But open to suggestions - hence this thread!

Iwawoodwork

Welcome to the forum , and please finish filling out your profile with the rea your located, that way members local to your area can offer up good info maybe even a visit/help.

Tacotodd

If your trimmer takes the short pieces of line then you might "try" some steel wire. Use small solid pieces though, because braided will unravel and come apart quickly. BTW, I've never tried it myself, but that doesn't mean that I've not ever thought about trying.
Trying harder everyday.

xkiwi

I tried using wire - piano / stranded steel - but it didnt survive long. The single lengths of 0.1xx plastic seems to be most effective against blackberry etc but even so require replacing every 5-10minutes.  Actually haven't done any such clearing in a few years - moved on to more substantial vegetation but the brambles are growing back. Digging out seems to be the only effective long term solution (haven't tried roundup).

I am thinking to put together a list of tools and methods I've found useful or not - as a starting point for newbies like me and stimulate other recommendations... It all is pretty lame compared to the Forestry & Logging forum folks. I dont want them to hurt themselves when they fall over laughing lol

Some random photos of the work...

xkiwi

some of the bigger ground fuel

skidding with a truck is a pain, even if there is room to move. See how steep it is - amazing truck doesn't rollover lol

I cut 5ft sections for firewood stack (buck to 3x 20" fireplace logs) - even so some i can barely lift. Low bed of gator helps...

getting a portable capstan winch and 150ft rope changed my whole life...

Everything was fine until got too close to the edge...using a homemade log arch (wheels bolted to a HF tractor 3pt quickhitch and a HF come-along) -
>

DMcCoy

One tool I didn't see was a pulaski, for us that is the go to.  Blackberries - Himalayan?  I believe they are a multi-year project.  My latest trial is (wearing welding gloves) cut them at ground level and treat with a stump killer.  Removing the crowns works but preventing their spread by preventing 'tiping' is essential imho.  Tips root in late summer. cutting the canes before hand will help minimize work. 
One thing I learned is using fire to clear brush that does not get consumed by said fire only creates more dead fuel...
My work now is focused on creating small piles to be burnt during fall/winter. 
Most of my stuff is limbed up 12-20'.
Good on you for taking the time to get ready for fire.

Thank You Sponsors!