iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl Battery Chainsaw options

Started by John Mc, May 21, 2021, 07:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

An older friend is in the market for a small lightweight battery operated chainsaw. Mainly to be used for cleaning up fallen limbs and occasionally dropping small trees (less than 6" DBH). He currently has no significant investment in cordless tools which might steer him toward a particular brand

I let him try out my Milwaukee M18 fuel saw just to get an idea of size & weight. I think it's a little bigger and heavier than what he is looking for.

I was going to suggest that he look at some of the Stihl offerings. He has a very good servicing Stihl dealer in a neighboring town. When I looked at the Stihl website, I see that they list the MSA 120 and MSA 140 as "not available", though they are in stock at several local stores. Have these been discontinued? I do not want to steer him toward something for which batteries or other parts may be phased out in the near future.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

axeman2021

Walmart is selling the Hart brand of battery powered chainsaws, they have a 12 inch one with 40Ah battery and charger $154US+tax out the door.

Very lite weight and does a really good job.
If you don't like it just return it for quick refund.

upnut

I have been pleased with my MSA 120, it has its limitations but is great for yard clean up and light trail work. Make sure your friend gets the AK 20 battery with the saw, mine came with the AK 10 by mistake which was too weak to last under load. I picked up a BGA 56 blower which uses the same battery which gets alot of use as well. There may be a pandemic panic limitation on availability but I doubt Stihl will discontinue that whole line of tools.

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

John Mc

Quote from: axeman2021 on May 21, 2021, 07:51:18 AM
Walmart is selling the Hart brand of battery powered chainsaws, they have a 12 inch one with 40Ah battery and charger $154US+tax out the door.

A good price. One thing that concerns me about those is the push button oiler. I'm not going to recommend something to him that does not have an automatic oiler. Just too much chance that he will not remember to oil it enough, plus, he's got some arthritis in his hands, so I need to make it as easy as possible on his hands.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

axeman2021

Quote from: John Mc on May 21, 2021, 07:59:49 AM
Quote from: axeman2021 on May 21, 2021, 07:51:18 AM

A good price. One thing that concerns me about those is the push button oiler. I'm not going to recommend something to him that does not have an automatic oiler. Just too much chance that he will not remember to oil it enough, plus, he's got some arthritis in his hands, so I need to make it as easy as possible on his hands.
Trust me you don't have to remember to push the button, the chain oil just flows out and you don't need to push the button at all.

YellowHammer

I have one of the Stihl battery chainsaws and love it.  I guess I use it routinely for small mill stuff for a couple years now, and wouldn't be without it.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

after you have a rapid charger and a few batteries, the tool cost is not much to get a variety.  I have the chain saw, cutoff saw, hedge trimer, weedwhacker, and blower.  I use the blower and chainsaw the most.  I have 3 batteries.  two of the 180s and a 300.  I use the chain saw to cut and trim slabs in the shop.  it leaves the rustic rough edge, and of course and be used inside with no exhaust.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

axeman2021

Stihl makes a great bunch of battery chainsaws, if one needs a Pro. type battery chainsaw you can't do better.

Now it comes down to how much money you want to spend on a battery chainsaw, a Stihl battery saw will start around $300US battery around $300US the charger add another $200US. these are just rounded off prices and depends on what Stihl battery chainsaw you buy.

If you are just going to do some quick cutting on say some 7 inch branch's, investing about $150US is a good choice.

longtime lurker

I've got a MSA220 for use around the mill. I was really sceptical about the whole battery chainsaw idea but my antique father couldn't start a regular saw any more so ... nothing ventured nothing gained right?

Truly I am impressed with it, not cheap but worth every cent and it gets way more use than I anticipated just because there's no need to start a real saw for whatever quick job is next.

Now whether I'd see the value for money in it as a household saw I don't know. Mostly household saws do a couple of tanks of gas a year, not a couple of tanks - or equivalent battery - a day.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

hedgerow

I would also look at Makita battery powered chain saws. I have a couple of buddy's that have them and really like them. 

John Mc

Quote from: hedgerow on May 25, 2021, 10:09:26 AM
I would also look at Makita battery powered chain saws. I have a couple of buddy's that have them and really like them.
My brother has one - it uses two of their 18 volt batteries to power it. He bought it primarily because he already has a bunch of Makita batteries. He says it works for his needs - cleaning up limbs after storms, pruning apple trees, and cutting up some smaller logs for firewood (he buys most of his firewood). I'm trying to get him to bring it up here next time he comes for a visit, so we can do a comparison with some of my gas saws and my Milwaukee M18 battery chainsaw.

ChugiakTinkerer

Quote from: John Mc on May 21, 2021, 07:15:16 AM
An older friend is in the market for a small lightweight battery operated chainsaw. Mainly to be used for cleaning up fallen limbs and occasionally dropping small trees (less than 6" DBH). He currently has no significant investment in cordless tools which might steer him toward a particular brand

I let him try out my Milwaukee M18 fuel saw just to get an idea of size & weight. I think it's a little bigger and heavier than what he is looking for.

I was going to suggest that he look at some of the Stihl offerings. He has a very good servicing Stihl dealer in a neighboring town. When I looked at the Stihl website, I see that they list the MSA 120 and MSA 140 as "not available", though they are in stock at several local stores. Have these been discontinued? I do not want to steer him toward something for which batteries or other parts may be phased out in the near future.
Just guessing on my part, but the "Not Available" status is probably due to the supply chain being totally jacked by the pandemic.  I'd buy another Stihl battery saw in a heartbeat.  I got my wife the MS-120 and she loves it.  With the 10" bar it's got pretty limited range, but it's perfect for the work she does.  it's the go-to saw for both of us when clearing the trail to our cabin.  When dealing with deadfall or leaners, she can finish the job before I even get my Husky started.
Woodland Mills HM130

jhoward60

My experience with Stihl's battery tools has been great. I have the HTA-86  pole saw, MSA-200 chain saw and FSA 135 trimmer. They can all outlast me :D
The Stihl website seems to say 'not available' on many of their offerings, yet my visits to the local dealer has them on the shelf. Granted, this last year has been challenging to get things shipped and delivered...but developing a relationship with my local dealer has been a good investment.
Stihl 066, 362RCM, MSA 200, HTA 86, FSA135R,Echo 355T, some other things scattered about...

Old saw fixer

I have no complaints with the MSA 140 I got for Christmas.  The ΒΌ" Picco Mini is not the fastest cutting chain but is smooth and well oiled by the saw. No Stihl oiler stinginess at all.  There are no adjustments to make on the oil feed, so you have to keep an eye on the oil in the tank.  It will run out before the battery!
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

doc henderson

I think the chain is matched to the power of the saw.  I occasionally have a spot of oil on the floor, and I can heat when the oil runs out.  It could not be an only saw for me, but for little stuff around the house it could.  n the mill or inside the shop,  it is a fun and helpful addition to my saw inventory that ranges up to the 880 mag with a 5 foot bar.   ::) sorry for boastin!   :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Tacotodd

"sorry for boastin!"

No you're not  :D    ;D  But it is funny doc.  
Trying harder everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!