iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Share my guilt

Started by Bigdogpc, October 12, 2004, 02:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdogpc

I gave blood today.  It has been a long time since I did so.  I had many valid excuses, too busy, no time, the hours are all wrong, etc.,etc.  Reality hit home and it told me there was no excuse.  I guess I am jumping on here to share my guilt and perhaps prompt some of you good folks to visit your local blood bank.  Several years back, my son was in a bad car wreck and was severely burned.  When the "container" that holds your blood in doesn't exist, you lose a LOT of blood.  During that time I was "Johnny on the spot" at the blood center, as soon as I was able to give blood, I did so.  Fortunately for my son, MANY people did the same thing.  He had the blood he needed for all the surgeries he went through thanks to those folks.  I carried that around with me for a while and maintained my regular visits to the blood bank.  Slowly, without even realizing it I began to make excuses and the visits slowed then stopped.  The blood bank called me for a while to prompt a return then they gave up too.  Today, and I will, for as long as I am able,  give blood.  I have had the opportunity to be indirectly on the receiving end and have experienced first hand the need for folks to give blood.  You will not know who gets the blood (unless you specify someone, there is always somebody needing it) but you can rest assured that the little discomfort you may experience can indeed save a life.  I have seen it first hand and am ashamed that I did not follow through with the blood donations.  I don't know that this will convince any of you who can, and are able to donate blood but rest assured somewhere out there is somebody who will be thankful for getting it.  Thanks to all!

Just in case anybody is curious, he has a website (needs work but what can I say?)  http://www.burnedguy.com

What isn't shown is he does a good bit of sawing on our mill.  The pixs of the Bronco hauling logs is him behind the wheel.

Patty

Thanks for the reminder. sometimes we need a bit of a nudge to do what is right.  ;)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Bro. Noble

Tell John to get himself on the forum,  he'd like it and we'd like him here :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Gilman

I second Bro's recommendation. Welcome aboard John 8)
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

isawlogs

Bigdog,
  I know how you feel , I'm also inderectly on the receiver end , my daughter had many tranfusions wile being treated for cancer , she's in remission now for 2 1/2 years , she was 15 going on 16 when she was told that she had leukemia , now 20 going on 21, and going strong .... personaly can't give blood wish I could . I'm thankfull to alot of people that did , I have a beautifull daughter that reminds me of them every morning that I see her .....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

isawlogs

Bigdogpc
  Thanks its people like you that make a difference
  Marcel
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

CHARLIE

I'm proud to say that I've given about 6 1/2 gallons of 'A' negative blood so far.  I've always wished I could know who it helped but that isn't possible.  But, the nurses at Mayo Clinic told me that 1 pint of blood goes a long way as they use it for whole blood and for plasma and some other stuff I think.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

Thanks for the reminder, Bigdog. I haven't given for a long time, due to some health problems I had in the past. I need to check and see if I'm eligible now. :)

I remember vividly, that evening in Palatka, when you told me of John's accident and all the ensuing problems. I've thought of y'all often, since. I can see that he has made a lot of progress, since then. He has faced down some very large demons, with the help of a loving family. What a gutsy bunch you all are! I'm proud to count you among my friends. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bigdogpc

I haven't had much luck getting John on the forum but I'll keep working on him.

Yup, sometimes all folks need is a little nudge in the right direction and maybe this will do.

ISAWLOGS:  Glad for ya!  Parent watching child fight for life is a tough nut and not something I'd wish on anybody...I don't dislike anyone enough to wish that on them.  I'm really happy all worked out for you and your daughter.

CHARLIE:  GOOD ON YA!!!  It's people like YOU that make the difference for those needing blood.

DANG:  I STILL plan to get up to your place!  As for the rest, I didn't do anything special but worry, John did all the work.

Thank You Sponsors!