iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Up/Down motor problem on LT 35

Started by Ruffneck, July 12, 2015, 06:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffneck

I just finished a cut and pushed the up toggle and the whole thing dropped. I don't see anything moving when I try to operate it. Has anyone had this happen? Is there a simple fix? If so, what tools will I need?

This is a video of what is going on now:
https://youtu.be/kqYyIa9f6w8

Any help is appreciated!  :)

WV Sawmiller

Ruffneck,

May be obvious but did you check the two breakers at the bottom of the control panel?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

gmmills

There is a up-down motor upgrade kit.  Part number 065946. This is a retrofit campaign kit.  Depending on your mills build revision, it may or may not have this upgrade already installed. Call WM to confirm.  You definitely have a motor issue.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Ruffneck

There are two breakers at the bottom of the control panel?  :D
No, I really didn't check anything. I'm looking for my book right now. If the breaker is tripped, does the whole thing just drop like a rock?

Thanks for the reply!

Ruffneck

Thanks gmmills, I'll give WM a call tomorrow...
Hope it's a straightforward repair.
Any advise on changing it out is appreciated :)

MartyParsons

Hello,
I sent you an email with the part # you will need. There is a campaign for this issue. I thought most of these have been completed.
This is only for the early LT35 and the LT35HD mills.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Ruffneck

Thank you Marty!
I check your email and contact WM in the morning.
It is the LT 35 manual mill. Is it  a easy swap?

WV Sawmiller

Ruff,

My LT35 has 2 pop out breakers. Don't know the age of your mill but I have had mine pop out and ease down and not lift. Was simple to reset. Let's hope that is all it is. If not I am confident Marty will have you back on track soon. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ruffneck

I purchased the mill new in May of 2012. I'll check for the breakers tomorrow. I hope that's it too. Gotta get back to millin' ASAP  ;D

Ruffneck

Called WM first thing this morning. They were going to try a reboot of the computer until I told them that it dropped like a rock. He looked into the the repair of the motor and told me the parts had already been shipped out for the upgrade. :D
Did you send them to him Marty or is it just a coincidence?
I'm expecting the parts by Thursday and will make the attempt to change it out on my own.
I could take it in to WM and they would do the job for me, it is under warranty, but that is a big production to do.
They said they will help me over the phone when the time comes.
If there are any suggestions on making the change, tools needed or tricks I sure would like to hear them.
WM was telling me that they have only heard of this happening to two other LT 35s...
Sometimes I think that if it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all... :D

Thanks and stay safe!

MartyParsons

Hello,
I did not send the parts but sent a email and asked them to help you out.   So the message must of been received.   They are good people out there.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Nomad

Quote from: MartyParsons on July 13, 2015, 05:33:40 PM
Hello,
I did not send the parts but sent a email and asked them to help you out.   So the message must of been received.   They are good people out there.
Marty

Great job, Marty!  I really enjoy dealing with this company. 8)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

millwright

I did the upgrade on my 2011 and it was not difficult.

Ruffneck

A big thank you to you Marty and my peeps out at Wood-Mizer in Wood Village!
The customer service I've received up to this point has been exceptional.
The part arrived out here in the woods today. I was really excited, kind of felt like Christmas, then I saw the box :o

It looked like it was delivered out of a cannon.

I remained optimistic as I was opening the box, I had no idea what it was delivering. I was expecting just the up/down motor :D

After opening it up and inspecting the parts, I could tell immediately there was a problem. Unless I'm missing something here:

I'm pretty sure everything should line up and not be bent. :-\

:) What do you do? That's just life :)

The repair looks a bit intimidating, but I think I'll try a tackle it on my own. The mill is under warranty, they are happy to do the repair for me but it would be a major production to move the mill to their shop for the repairs to be made.

The way I'm seeing it , I'll have to dive into working on this mill someday, why not today. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to work through any problems between the people at Wood-Mizer and my friends here at FF. ;D UPS is a different story ::)

MartyParsons

Magicman

DanG is right but you have to admit; that is very poor packaging. 

When I got my auto clutch there were parts sticking through the box.  Nothing damaged, but very poor packaging.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

That box must of hit something hard to make that bend like that.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ruffneck

They were going to ship a new bracket, aftergiving some thought and noticing the mark on the motor, I decided to exchange the whole thing. I'd hate to have an issue down the road. With my luck      it would quit working the day after the warranty expires and it's looking like the kind of job I'd only want to do once.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

If thats a PM motor they don't take kindly to being thumped on...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!