iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Would like to come visit you...

Started by Ga Mtn Man, February 01, 2012, 02:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

Hi Gents,

I just joined the forum a few days ago and I'm very impressed with how helpful you guys(gals?) are to us newbies.  I'm considering (and by "considering" I mean I've spent 18 hrs of the last three days reading about every small mill on the planet... God help me)  buying a portable mill and would love to come see one in operation.  If you operate within  60 miles or so of Blairesville, GA, and wouldn't mind having me come and annoy you for a few hours, please drop me a line.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

hackberry jake

I'm only 12 hrs away, come on down. I'll show you how an ez boardwalk Jr. Operates. I'll even send you home with some lumber.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm east of you in Rock Hill, S.C. just below Charlotte, N.C.

I mill with a WOODMIZER LT4O HD G28. Look on the WOODMIZER website and you can see the mill I have. I would be more than happy for you to come on over to saw for a day and eat some BBQ for lunch.  8)

You'll fall in love with this mill!

There's a lot of good mills out there and I searched and read everything like you did before I bought mine.

I'll teach you how to operate the LT 40 and I promise you....you'll be hooked! :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ga Mtn Man

David,

Thanks for the invite.  Sounds like a blast!  I'll let you know.  That LT40 looks awesome but I'm definitely thinking smaller... maybe the LT15.  Is your mill hydraulic or manual and did you get that sweet bucket seat that they offer as an option?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My mill has the hydraulics. And the seat? NAAAA......I need to walk says my Doctor!  :D

If the mills you have been looking at are the ones you have to push the blade through the log, let me know. I can disconnect the power feed before you get here and you can push the lt 40 head through the log.
:D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D 8)

I know....I'm bad!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ga Mtn Man

Yeah, I should have you do that.  If I get spoiled by all that auto stuff my first time out running a mill, my desires might start to outstrip my wallet. 

customsawyer

I am not as close as you would like but I have a couple of LT70s that you can come catch the boards off of.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Mountain Man,

I have a LT15, but I am in Perry which is just south of Macon.  Looks like that I am about 3 1/2 to 4 hours from you if you want to make a day trip.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

MotorSeven

GMM, I am in NE TN, 3.47 hrs away from you. I have an LT 15 that I extended out to 27'. Feel free to come help off bear anytime :D

I suggest riding a motor and taking the Dragon up through Maryville...awesome ride!
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

thecfarm

You can come visit me. :D  But I don't allow grits in the house.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ga Mtn Man

Well in that case, I'm not comin'.  No free labor for you.  ;D

Sixacresand

We drove up to Newnan, GA and picked up this LT 10.   If I had to upgrade, it would be for a tractor with a front bucket and other log handling equipment. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Okrafarmer

You can come up to the Greenville, SC and see our Turner mill in operation. It's all manual except the up/down. And we do allow grits in the house, even okra.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Papa1stuff

I have been in Florida 34 years and grits are good but okra >:( >:( >:( >:(
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Handy Andy

Aren't there any Cook mills in your neighborhood? They build them down there.  Mine cut a bunch of hedge (osage orange) beams last week. They are built tough.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

crackerhead

I am close to you just south of Dahlonega and north of Murrayville .No bandmill just a Frick circular  mill .Welcome to come and catch a few boards when I am sawing.
"thars gold in them thar hills"  Dahlonega Ga ,site of America's first major gold rush in 1828

Ga Mtn Man

Jim,

I'm going to go have a look at a Cook's mill down in Newnan, GA hopefully sometime next week.  I do like what I see on their website and they're close enough for me to go fetch it...no shipping charges. :)

crackerhead,

Is that your mill just north of Hwy 400 across from the river?

crackerhead

No ,that is Boyd Cantrells mill at the river .My mill is about 7-8 miles from there on Old Dahlonega Hwy at the Lumpkin -Hall county line .I am 6 miles south of hwy 52 and 3 miles north of Murrayville if you are familiar with the territory
"thars gold in them thar hills"  Dahlonega Ga ,site of America's first major gold rush in 1828

mrbuck50

Ga Mtn Man.......if you can swing the trip, I suggest going down to see WDH in Perry. I went a few weeks ago and WOW. Not only is the LT-15 impressive, but Danny is a helluva guy. Look for a post about some big red oak trees and you will see me getting an operating lesson from Danny. As soon as I can talk the wife into it, I will own an LT-15.

eastberkshirecustoms

You are welcome to stop by my place. There's a lot of cutting and milling going on, but it's all in metal right now. I can always use the help. Just think, you could brag on how you helped build a mill. ;) I don't have grits or okra, but can cook up a mean batch of spiedies and send you home with some of last year's maple syrup.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: mrbuck50 on February 08, 2012, 07:45:27 PM
Ga Mtn Man.......if you can swing the trip, I suggest going down to see WDH in Perry. I went a few weeks ago and WOW. Not only is the LT-15 impressive, but Danny is a helluva guy. Look for a post about some big red oak trees and you will see me getting an operating lesson from Danny. As soon as I can talk the wife into it, I will own an LT-15.

He's already given me an invite down for a visit.  I plan to go in the next week or two. He's posted responses to every one of my questions and has been very helpful to someone who knows almost nothing about timber and sawyering.  Yep, the LT-15 is on my short list too.  Hope the wifey comes around for you real soon.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: eastberkshirecustoms on February 09, 2012, 12:12:12 AM
You are welcome to stop by my place. There's a lot of cutting and milling going on, but it's all in metal right now. I can always use the help. Just think, you could brag on how you helped build a mill. ;) I don't have grits or okra, but can cook up a mean batch of spiedies and send you home with some of last year's maple syrup.

That does sound like a hoot.  I've never been to New York (unless you count Long Island).  Just one question...what's a spiedie?  ???

eastberkshirecustoms

Long Island doesn't count as New York! Upstate, we're a bunch of hillbillies like you'all ;) (Meant that as a compliment!!!) A spiedie- boy you are missing out!  digin_2 digin_2

Acoording to wikipedia "The spiedie ( /ˈspiːdi/) is a dish local to Greater Binghamton in the Southern Tier of New York State, and somewhat more broadly known and enjoyed throughout Central New York state. [1] Spiedie consists of cubes of chicken, pork, lamb, veal, venison or beef. The meat cubes are marinated overnight or longer (sometimes for as long as two weeks under a controlled environment) in a special marinade, then grilled on spits (if steel skewers are used, they are called "spiedie rods") over a charcoal pit.

The traditional method involves serving freshly prepared cubes of lamb, chicken, or beef on soft Italian bread, and occasionally drizzled with fresh marinade. However, it is frequently common to find them served on a submarine roll, and chicken is now the meat of choice due to cost. The bread is used as an oven glove to grip the meat while the skewer is removed. Spiedie meat cubes can also be eaten straight off the skewer or can be served in salads, stir fries, and a number of other dishes. The marinade recipe varies, usually involving olive oil, vinegar, and a variety of Italian spices and fresh mint."

Ga Mtn Man

Get the meat cubes marinatin' cause I'm on the road at dawn!  ;D  And I hate to correct a fine gentleman such as yourself, but it's "bunch of hillbillies like y'all".

Thank You Sponsors!