iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Very Unique Sawmill Operator Station Mod

Started by 123maxbars, February 07, 2020, 05:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I put out a video today that I thought was pretty interesting for other sawyers. All the footage was sent to me by Huel who runs a LT50 on his farm down in LA. Now I am  sure he probably was not the first person to do this (he told me the idea came from another sawyer in Arkansas that had the same set up) but it was the first time I have seen/heard of this being done to a Wood-Mizer. What I am talking about is the placement of the operator controls inside of an old F150. Anyways here is the link to the short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9IAuA0vl4M
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

KenMac

Best use for a FORD truck I've ever seen!! Bet someone will disagree with me! :D :D :D pc_smiley
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

moodnacreek

123maxbars

Quote from: moodnacreek on February 07, 2020, 08:11:21 PM
Made no sense to me at all.
Well let me explain it to you then, and help you understand.
Huel has two employees that stack the wood and keep the sawmill feed with logs.
This is similar to a large sawmill operation where sometimes the operator will sit in a small operator booth with both a door and windows and run the mill with the comfort of air/heat etc. Huel came up with a way to do that with and old truck instead of building a stand alone booth. In the winter he has a small heater in the cab and an air conditioner for the summer. Since he never touches the boards he saws then why not have a comfortable position to operate from? 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

richhiway

Nathan,
When you put yours in get an extended cab so you have more leg room.  8)

I think I'll leave the power seat in so I can recline it for nap time.

I like the story about his tree, I hope he got some nice boards.
Rich
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

PA_Walnut

LOL. Just because you CAN, doesn't mean that you SHOULD.   ::) ;D :D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Jeff

SawyerTed

I can see where a truck cab is a reasonable solution - a big safety glass to look through, an adjustable seat already set up, plenty of room for a lunchbox or cooler, it's up off the ground so cleaning under is easy, it is relatively dust tight, noise reduction is fairly easy, heat and air is easy.  It just wouldn't be my first choice for an operator booth.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

moodnacreek

I got hit by a knot between the legs the other day. Can't have a cab with a manual setworks and dogs. To use foot pedals on an automatic mill you must sit. I don't think that band saw throws stuff at the operator or has pedals. Must be nice to have men doing the work.

barbender

Bandsaw debarkers (mudsaws) can really fire a knot at you, in fact that's what mine does best😂 Probably not as good as a 52" circular blade though😁
Too many irons in the fire

KenMac

Quote from: barbender on February 08, 2020, 09:08:22 PM
Bandsaw debarkers (mudsaws) can really fire a knot at you, in fact that's what mine does best😂 Probably not as good as a 52" circular blade though😁
My debarker turns away from me. I actually assumed they all did. Do some turn towards the operator?
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

GAB

Quote from: KenMac on February 09, 2020, 04:58:04 PM
Quote from: barbender on February 08, 2020, 09:08:22 PM
My debarker turns away from me.  Do some turn towards the operator?
YES
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

barbender

I have the original "mark I" debarker on my '97 mill. Yes it turns toward you, and being the mark 1 only used a 1/2 hp motor and belt drive, it doesn't do much but fire knots at you. That it's good at. The only reason I even run it is because I enjoy living dangerously 😂
Too many irons in the fire

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Jeff on February 08, 2020, 07:26:12 AMI hate it when someone says that to me.

Just being funny. To each his own...the innovations from members here is the appeal. Truth be told, I do some pretty crazy things myself. Like mood lighting on my new DH kiln! :D;D (The brew sitting in the foreground is a Goose Island Bourbon County. At 16%, a nice way to celebrate!) :D

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Jeff

I didn't mean that as a slap down, though it sure looked like one now that I read it back. Its like when someone tells me  i must have too much time when  Ive just done something unique or creative. I hear that one often, because I like to be unique and creative, although there seems to be a large diminishment in that ability recently.  Sorry for the crack. I was just thinking outloud.

PA_Walnut

All good. Didn't really take it that way. Sometimes my "old man" just comes out too much!  :D ;D
I really appreciate innovation and almost all artistry. I do crazy stuff all the time...BECAUSE I CAN!  ;D
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!