iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sills

Started by laffs, July 15, 2012, 08:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laffs

I need a lumber storage shed three sided open in front 12' by 18'. I want to use 6x6 hemlock on dirt for the sills. any suggetions  for the corner joints? I'm leaning towards open mortise because of the 6x6.  10' 6x6 for posts, basicaly a pole shed. Should I use knee and wind braces in the corners?

thanks for any and all replies
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: laffs on July 15, 2012, 08:45:42 AM
I need a lumber storage shed three sided open in front 12' by 18'. I want to use 6x6 hemlock on dirt for the sills. any suggestions  for the corner joints? I'm leaning towards open mortise because of the 6x6.  10' 6x6 for posts, basically a pole shed. Should I use knee and wind braces in the corners?

thanks for any and all replies

An open mortise isn't the best joint, but it would work. Where these sills will be directly supported by the ground you could do a standard corner joint:

The fact that you'll have siding on three sides will help stiffen the frame but you could add some braces to make it stronger. Especially on the open side.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!