iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

palletizing firewood

Started by jimbarry, December 31, 2018, 05:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

I read your post again and looks like you want smaller bundles.  what would be your ideal size.  you could hold the strap in place with staples or a grove in the wood if you use that.  It sounds like you already have quite a following.. Some just put a flyer/paper label on the wood and stretch wrap it.  If you had bundles then you could build reusable crates to carry the bundles at a limit that you equipment and truck can handle.  If the bundles and amount in each crate were uniform it would make inventory and delivery to commercial accounts easier.  I have seen some wrapping that incorporates handles.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

mike_belben

What about cutting up a 55gal drum to make a sort of bird bath and stacking the wood in there then banding it?  I think u could then roll this wood puck up a plank onto trailer or tailgate.  Never tried, just thinking what your situation might entail.  
Praise The Lord

jimbarry

Quote from: mike_belben on January 02, 2019, 11:42:20 PM
What about cutting up a 55gal drum to make a sort of bird bath and stacking the wood in there then banding it?  I think u could then roll this wood puck up a plank onto trailer or tailgate.  Never tried, just thinking what your situation might entail.  
I might try that just for the hell of it  :D
Warmhart, I was using three strappings across the top, 2 one way, and one the opposite. Today I am going to try two over the top and one "around" the sides. Seen that someone else was doing that. I think though, like you said, netting might be the answer. Might add CAD$2 to a pallet cost though.

mike_belben

Im curious if it'll work myself, im sure youll need to prop the drum up on a cinder block at first to keep all the pieces standing. Maybe cinch them with a 2" ratchet strap, dump it out then band?  Plastic barrel has more cone shape to the bottom vs metal.  Im picturing a metal one getting stuck.  

I cut the bottom off a 5gal bucket and use that to make my bundles.  I use a 4" hand wrapper starting at the bottom as i pull up to snug the pile.
Praise The Lord

jimbarry

Quote from: mike_belben on January 03, 2019, 08:50:26 AM
I cut the bottom off a 5gal bucket and use that to make my bundles.  I use a 4" hand wrapper starting at the bottom as i pull up to snug the pile.
I've seen that bucket trick, pretty slick.  This little rig seems to work well too, pic found online OFFSITE IMAGES NOT ALLOWED. PLEASE READ RULES

warmhart

Doc, Mike and Jim, thanks for the ideas! We've been in business 5 years, and have tried a lot of
ways to handle and sell. We tried a "bundle", using heavy string, then rope, but we dumped the idea because it was a lot of work and we were limited to about a $10 sale. When we went to
the metal racks, we were able to go to $20 multiples (no change, most folks have that available). That unit is 1/16th face cord, and the $40 (1/8 FC) is the most popular, fits in a
trunk, or back of an SUV. We also provide plastic to protect the floor if desired.
For heavy stuff, it needs to be easily moved with a handtruck or Dingo.
When we move the 1/3rd FC from drying/storage, we use a piece of chain link fence draped
over the rack, to prevent sticks from falling out on the road. The pieces of chain link
are also great to hold down the billboard tarps we use over the drying stacks. We get a LOT
of rain, usually 64" a year. This year it was less sunny, more light rain, so firewood didn't dry as
well as usual. Tomorrow will be sunshine (after 10 days of warm, rainy days) and a Friday,
so we will probably have a good selling afternoon!

warmhart

Several people commented on the "supersack" idea, and I had considered it.
Of course, cost is a critical point. Then I saw a farmer on C.L., trying to sell used ones
for $5, and later $3!
I can't move that quantity, but I did consider cutting them into "wraps" for smaller
quantities. Bet somewhere there are tones of used ones!

doc henderson

you mentioned all the handling so would be nice to split and pkg. in the beginning so you are no longer picking up the same logs,  do you have a saw mill.  Here we have tons of cottonwood that is good for pallets and you could make a partial crate, if u could make them at little cost. or see if you have a local pallet co. and what the cost would be, but would add to your product cost.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

jimbarry

Quote from: doc henderson on January 03, 2019, 10:30:24 PM
you mentioned all the handling so would be nice to split and pkg. in the beginning so you are no longer picking up the same logs,  do you have a saw mill.  Here we have tones of cottonwood that is good for pallets and you could make a partial crate, if u could make them at little cost. or see if you have a local pallet co. and what the cost would be, but would add to your product cost.
For us, there is a pallet mile a couple km up the road. But they want CAD$6.50 ($4.80) for a 32x48 pallet (prefered size). Oddball sizes like 40x40 they are trying to get rid off they want CAD$5.00 (US$3.70). I have been making my own with the sawmill I have using off cuts and low grade boards that come off the mill. A good way to use up that inventory. Though it takes some time. Time is money as they say.  

jimbarry

Quote from: warmhart on January 03, 2019, 10:13:47 PM
...Then I saw a farmer on C.L., trying to sell used ones.
But those bags are not vented. They need to be vented in you bag up green wood, or if the wood gets wet.

doc henderson

Well, I agree, time is money.  And the challenge in life is to have both time and money.  You will have to decide if it saves you time and effort enough to make it worth it.  May have to sell it on pallet and if they do not want it, they could offload into their trunk.  Or buy them back in good cond.  People may not like it as you have prev. made clear.  best wishes.  Can you provide lumber for the pallet co. in exchange for some custom pallets?  Or tour the facility and see if there are shortcuts with a jig lets say to speed up the process and make them consistent.

jimbarry

Quote from: doc henderson on January 04, 2019, 10:57:24 AM
Well, I agree, time is money.  And the challenge in life is to have both time and money.  You will have to decide if it saves you time and effort enough to make it worth it.  May have to sell it on pallet and if they do not want it, they could offload into their trunk.  Or buy them back in good cond.  People may not like it as you have prev. made clear.  best wishes.  Can you provide lumber for the pallet co. in exchange for some custom pallets?  Or tour the facility and see if there are shortcuts with a jig lets say to speed up the process and make them consistent.
The pallet mill is too big a volume for little ol' me. I have a jig to big my own pallets. Its just a matter of getting the time.

doc henderson

for fun, this is how some people do it in Kansas.  Must be what they meant when referring to Carolina Squats in another post.  Sounds like you already have a handle on it...!

btulloh

That's darned near a full load.
HM126

olcowhand

I'd a gotten another Rick on that load.......
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

warmhart

jimbarry, thanks for mentioning that the bulk bags aren't ventilated. Didn't think
of that, but don't plan to use them anyway. I've seen some "big boys" in the firewood business
use them, and store inside a building, but I guess they leave them open at the top. Moldy
wood is a problem when out in the open, but if not ventilated, it would be a mess!
Was out collecting logs cut in a neighborhood by a tree guy. He called me because he has
no way to move any large wood. Feel sorry for the guy...he had his oil/gas mix in a coke bottle!

Bruno of NH

They make ventilated firewood bags
I bought 10 to try this year
They preform well
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

rjwoelk

My vented bags are out in the sun till they get sold. They meed to be out side in the air and wind or they will mold. Tryed in the shed but the ends got blue green. Would not do it any way bit in bags. No handling by hand except to level the top if one wishes to. Loader has hooks on the forks  just set the bag on the back of the truck or trailer back out, couple of straps to secure it to the box and they are on their way.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

jimbarry

We're still palletizing wood. Cold weather is upon us now and the wood is moving quickly from the yard.

tamarackman

Quote from: jimbarry on September 17, 2019, 05:46:52 AM
We're still palletizing wood. Cold weather is upon us now and the wood is moving quickly from the yard.

<snip>

Wow - very nice. Are you stacking off the splitter / processor or is that a separate process?

jimbarry

Quote from: SPDM on September 17, 2019, 05:27:31 PM
Wow - very nice. Are you stacking off the splitter / processor or is that a separate process?
We're stacking right from the splitter.

That's the old setup we had. We've changed things up a bit, but the idea is about the same.

LAZERDAN

hey hey is that a 12-22 under that tarp, from Andrew ??

Ivan49

How much wood is on each pallet

doc henderson

is that a log deck for flitches on the right half of the screen

jimbarry

Thank You Sponsors!