Started by jimbarry, December 31, 2018, 05:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbarry

jimbarry

barbender

That's a well thought out operation 👍
Too many irons in the fire

jimbarry

I actually ended up taking apart the processor. Where the blocks roll down the sloped table, the blocks quickly broke off the 1x10 I had bolted in place. I put in its place a stout 6x6 pine beam. No chance of it moving or breaking. But that landing area became a bottleneck. As good as she is, the wife can only work so fast :) and I was cutting faster than she was able to manage the blocks coming down. It got to the point where after 4-5 logs I'd have to stop and help. And then there was the occasion where a wayward block would roll off and hit her in the back of the legs if she was not looking in that direction. So for her safety :) I went back to cutting logs on the ground next to the splitter. So now we are looking at getting a real firewood processor, maybe a small Bell 1000 or a Hakki Pilke 38 Pro.

doc henderson

very cool.  what type of wood do you have there.  looks like you could work all year getting ready for the next year.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

jimbarry

The bench that I made though, worked great. Made from plastic barrels.

There's a few videos on my youtube channel about it if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/user/woodchuckcanuck/videos

jimbarry

Quote from: doc henderson on September 18, 2019, 08:51:16 AM
very cool.  what type of wood do you have there.  looks like you could work all year getting ready for the next year.
Mostly maple, yellow birch, white birch, white ash, some elm, and a little bit of fir and spruce.

doc henderson

Some good ideas there.  I just produce for myself and a little for scavenger/friends that look at our wood and think we can spare some.  hard to get them here on processing days.  might incorporate a few ideas but we are not to your scale.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

jimbarry

Quote from: doc henderson on September 18, 2019, 09:09:07 AM
...might incorporate a few ideas but we are not to your scale.
Thanks. Though we're not as busy as it might look. Might sell a cord or two a week.  I just try to find the most efficient way for the least amount of effort. :) 

doc henderson

here folks are paying about 250 $ a cord, what is it like there.  nice you can work with your wife, she works hard.  looks to be air dried.  some have covers.  I am behind this year so plan to try to cover and heat some up to speed seasoning.  watched a laser video, and have the same unit.  I use it to make sure I am back far enough behind the log before I press auto down.

jimbarry

Quote from: doc henderson on September 18, 2019, 09:22:11 AM
here folks are paying about 250 $ a cord, what is it like there.  nice you can work with your wife, she works hard.  looks to be air dried.  some have covers.  I am behind this year so plan to try to cover and heat some up to speed seasoning.  watched a laser video, and have the same unit.  I use it to make sure I am back far enough behind the log before I press auto down.
Right in our local area, its about CAD$200-210 for a log cord cut, split and delivered.   We sell a cubic cord, cut and split for CAD$240 plus delivery.  The covered pallets are for our own use.

jimbarry

For years we did our personal firewood like this. This year we've been using the free standing pallets. Mostly because the lean to sheds all need to be rebuilt. So trying something new (less work).

hedgerow

jimbarry

That was a nice simple processor you had there. Its sure nice to keep the rounds off the ground and right to the splitter. As I get older I hate picking up wood more than I have to. I do around 15-20 cord a year to keep my Garn running. I have enough big dump trailers now we spit and stack right into the dump trailers and then they go into the shed to season. Skid loaders are sure handy in making firewood. I use mine a lot with a grapple to buck the big logs nice to not bend over cutting the big logs. 

jimbarry

Quote from: hedgerow on September 18, 2019, 09:55:37 AM
jimbarry

That was a nice simple processor you had there. Its sure nice to keep the rounds off the ground and right to the splitter. As I get older I hate picking up wood more than I have to. I do around 15-20 cord a year to keep my Garn running. I have enough big dump trailers now we spit and stack right into the dump trailers and then they go into the shed to season. Skid loaders are sure handy in making firewood. I use mine a lot with a grapple to buck the big logs nice to not bend over cutting the big logs.
best money ever spent...

barbender

Jim, everything is so regional- could you define log cord and cubic cord?

Hilltop366

Quote from: jimbarry on September 18, 2019, 08:49:58 AM
I actually ended up taking apart the processor. Where the blocks roll down the sloped table, the blocks quickly broke off the 1x10 I had bolted in place. I put in its place a stout 6x6 pine beam. No chance of it moving or breaking. But that landing area became a bottleneck. As good as she is, the wife can only work so fast :) and I was cutting faster than she was able to manage the blocks coming down. It got to the point where after 4-5 logs I'd have to stop and help. And then there was the occasion where a wayward block would roll off and hit her in the back of the legs if she was not looking in that direction. So for her safety :) I went back to cutting logs on the ground next to the splitter. So now we are looking at getting a real firewood processor, maybe a small Bell 1000 or a Hakki Pilke 38 Pro.
I was wondering about the success of a table, I was also thinking/wondering about blocking into 3 sided bin and then move the bin to the splitter and set the bin on something so like the table there would be less bending and lifting. The bins would probably need a few temporary boards on the open side but this would keep the splitting away from the chainsaw and offer a cushion in the bottle neck. Of coarse a real processor would be nice!

barbender

Jim, you could always tell the wife that if she was moving faster the wood wouldn't build up and spill over, hitting her legs!😁 Or maybe you already did, and that's how the table got taken apart- your wife used your face to demo it!😁😂

doc henderson

is that a cat grapple or something else?  do you control rotation or just the grapple arms?

jimbarry

Quote from: barbender on September 18, 2019, 11:32:23 AM
Jim, everything is so regional- could you define log cord and cubic cord?
A log cord is 8ft logs, stacked in a space 4ft x 4ft.
A cubic cord is define by Measurements Canada as 128 cu ft (3.62 cu m).
A cubic cord is what we sell, its a defined measurement, takes the guesswork out of it.

barbender

jimbarry

Quote from: barbender on September 18, 2019, 11:59:49 AM
Jim, you could always tell the wife that if she was moving faster the wood wouldn't build up and spill over, hitting her legs!😁 Or maybe you already did, and that's how the table got taken apart- your wife used your face to demo it!😁😂
I can't complain, she pulls her share.

jimbarry

Quote from: doc henderson on September 18, 2019, 12:04:06 PM
is that a cat grapple or something else?  do you control rotation or just the grapple arms?
Wallenstein grapple, painted CAT color. Hydraulic over electric. 360ยบ rotation. 36" wide jaws. Can lift A LOT so long as the operator understands the mechanics of leverage and pivot points.

doc henderson

I just have one aux. hydraulic port.  looks great.  would that work or does it require 2.

jimbarry

Quote from: doc henderson on September 18, 2019, 12:57:37 PM
I just have one aux. hydraulic port.  looks great.  would that work or does it require 2.
Requires 2.

barbender

2 ports, one circuit- correct?

Thank You Sponsors!