iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Equipping a new RV for camping

Started by Larry, February 02, 2024, 08:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Bought a never used 2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie travel trailer about a month ago and pretty much need everything to go camping.

It has a small solar panel that is supposed to run the fridge when on eco setting. Since I will occasionally boon dock went ahead and bought a Honda generator that is capable of running the AC and everything else. Not sure where I want to transport it. I have a good spot inside the trailer for it but I'm thinking about just keeping it in the truck bed.

Bought bed linens, pillows, and the like.

Working on how to store stuff in the cabinets. I supposed the accepted method is a bunch of plastic tubs and such. I just finished processing a load of white oak out of the kiln. The high grade flew out the door but I still have a bunch of low grade because its too narrow. The thought occurred that I could make a bunch of nice crates that fit my storage space perfect. Some might stack. I just resawed and surfaced some down to 1/8" thick which seems strong enough for the sides and fairly light. The ends might be ½" thick. Thoughts on my idea and storage?

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I've had a couple other RV's but they pretty much remained stationery on ground I owned. So I really don't have much experience.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

Not many suggestions other than keep the genny out of the camper because of gas fumes.  I carry mine on a rack that is supported by the trailer rear bumper, but it is solidly reinforced.  The truck bed is the best.

We use the smaller plastic "hampers" for our food and other stuff inside of the kitchen cabinets.  (nothing is loose)  The hampers will "nest" together if not in use.  These hampers also contain underwear, socks, and bath washcloths and towels.  We have about a dozen of these hampers in use.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

go camping and make lists.  also pay attention in the kitchen at home and figure what you will want.  coffee, cups, plates, silverware, towels, bathroom stuff. soap, shampoo.  If we run out of something in the house, we can go to the camper to borrow.  lol.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

Do some "long weekend" local trips. Not too far / long that any problem is serious. You will find the issues that bug you, and work around them. For the fridge. leave it parked and make sure it stays cool with the solar etc. 

We did 2 weeks around NZ staying at campgrounds, 4 of us, in a Toyota hatchback. Ice packs and a cooler bin are your friends. Freeze them when you have power / a freezer and they keep your food cool the next day travelling.  
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ljohnsaw

What kind of refrigerator is it? Is it an absorbsion or compressor? If it is a 3 way (12v/120v/propane), then it is absorbsion and can only get to 25* below ambient. That can be an issue in the summer. You can get 12v compressor coolers now that work great. I have a few, one has 2 zones and can get to -4F.

I happened to pick up little office style garbage cans at a ReStore for 20¢ each, brand new green recycling ones. They had hundreds! Those would work good for packing.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SawyerTed

We went through several kinds of storage units.  We ended up with a combination of bins, baskets tubs and drawers. 

I'm trying to think of the little stuff that you need when you need it

Water hose washers
12 volt fuses
A small electric heater to save propane.
A water jug to tote water
Adapters to plug the camper into 120 v standard or 30 amp RV plug
Surge suppressor-ours saved the camper from a lightning surge a couple of years ago.
An extension cord
A toaster oven - saves propane, less heat inside
A tarp

Watch the weight of everything.  We don't need more than a couple of coffee cups.  It's not necessary to carry an 8 place flatware set or 8 plates etc. we have enough for two and use plastic and paper if we have guests. 

Sometimes extra shade or privacy is needed under the awning.  There are RV shades available for $$$.  A small landscaper's shade cloth is less expensive and is basically the same thing.  Mine was $25 versus $100 plus.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Larry

Quote from: Ljohnsaw on February 03, 2024, 02:41:29 AMWhat kind of refrigerator is it?
It's 12v only, I think it must be a compressor style.  It has a upgraded larger battery but the solar panel is only 100 watts.  That's why I bought the Honda generator.  Might upgrade the solar later.

All good suggestions that I'll try.  Keep em coming, I'm learning.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DDW_OR

my 2 cents, most of the main things have already been mentioned

a link to the floor plan if possible
and PHOTOS

i am upgrading a 1988 road ranger bunkbeds, 24 ft
my upgrades are
taller toilet, Domestic 310
LED interior lights, search Ebay for
     12V LED Pancake Light RV Interior LED Ceiling Light
12V sound system with USB, DVD, Radio, Jensen radio dvd JWM452
Electric Tongue Jack, one that can be greased and has a 5 year warranty
12v/120v portable cooler/freezer. i got one that is 90Q, and can be set as either a fridge or as a freezer. it can freeze to -11F
add extra 12v outlets in the bunkbeds for USB devices.
add water pump switch in bathroom
replacing the old foam bunkbed mattresses
i added some insulated foam board with metal backing to the inside windows and roof vents for cold weather camping. 
yes i have two CO2/smoke detectors installed

add one or two 10x10 strait leg ez-up
i purchased a 4500W Westinghouse dual Fuel inverting generator, iGen4500DFc
   i had it running a 2017 Keystone with AC, Microwave and everything else. i could talk to my friend while standing next to the generator and only had to slightly raise my voice

RUBBER GLOVES for when you have to dump the tanks

maybe flip the axles to get an extra 5 inch of body clearance

add backup camera to the Left Rear corner of the trailer. powered by the clearance light. the camera i got produces its own WIFI signal that your cellphone can connect to
search
     Xtremevision Mini HD WiFi Rearview Car Vehicle Camera Wireless XV-21W

storage, Harbor Freight, use as an example
56578, clear storage case for 
silverware, knife, fork spoon, rubber spatula, and so on , all in one box
socket set, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, ratchets, extensions, adapters, all in one box
total 2 boxes

68238, nuts, bolts, washers, screws, electrical, RV

12v to 120v inverter, 2000 to 5000 Wat
"let the machines do the work"

doc henderson

Part of the fun is making do with what ya got.  Might carve a spoon out of a stick.   :o
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Mooseherder

I help set up a few every year with visitors to our property.  Blocks of wood are necessary for the leveling Jack's and a few longer planks to level a side under the tires if downhill.  I also made a platform for my Sister in law because their steps are too high from the ground.  I run hoses to them also so good diverting tees or y's are on hand.  I keep a couple of 100' 12-2 wire spooled up on air hose reels so they can run ac also.  They dump the gray water here and the black water at the dump station.  Putting a socket on a cordless drill makes quick work of the leveling Jack's.
Good folding chairs and table are handy.
A screened in side enclosure is nice May, June and July in bug country.

SawyerTed

Great suggestions!  Whittling spoons is a bit extreme but Doc is out there sometimes!  

A funnel to pour water into the potable water tank from the previously mentioned water tote.

A string of solar charged led lights to hang on the awning.  

Did I say command hooks?

Walkie-talkies for a helper to guide the driver when backing into a site.  Cell phones don't always have service.  It's not until you've heard late arrivers yelling obscenities in the campground at 10:30 at night that you appreciate speaking obscenities into a walkie talkie in a low voice!   :o ;D

A black tank wand and separate hose for its use.  Don't use a potable water hose to flush/wand out the black tank. The wand helps prevent the poo pyramid.  :o  The separate hose prevents the hose from possibly contaminating drinking water. The hose for the poo wand can be a general use hose but not a potable water hose.

A "water bandit" is a silicone sleeve that can adapt to a variety of spigots or hose bibs where a standard water hose won't. Solves the problem of getting potable water in a bind.  I got 15 gallons of water once from a fellow camper by using a water bandit connected to his kitchen sink faucet. We were all boondocking, he was leaving and had plenty of water and didn't want the weight of the water. 

For leveling the Anderson Blocks are great but pricey.  For stabilizer jacks, I keep a variety of 4x4 pressure treated blocks and 6x6 poplar (lighter) blocks around for them. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Mooseherder

A wheel chock or 2 may come in handy.
Throw rug by the steps. :)

Ljohnsaw

Re: Pump switch.

I don't have a restroom in my popup trailer. But there is a switch on a low cabinet street side. I replaced that with a spring wound switch. Automatically shuts the pump off after 30 minutes. 

That way, when you pack up and pull the plug to drain, drive off , stop in a bit to check the bearing's temps, your pump doesn't run forever. In my case, I have to pop the top and wiggle in to shutoff the manual switch. The third time I found the main fuse at the battery is a lot easier to reach!

On the subject of water pumps. Normally they run on demand and if the flow is just right, will cycle on and off repeatedly. I find that really annoying. Space is extremely tight on my trailer. I was able to stick two quart size (maybe a little bigger) pressure tanks in the area with the pump to maintain pressure. Holds enough that you can almost wash your hands without the pump powered. In hindsight, I could have put a bigger one under the sink.

Next up, I'm replacing my 6 gallon water heater with a tankless to save on propane.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ljohnsaw

Re: Solar Panels

I found a solar panel that blew off an RV on the side of the road. It actually survived. IIRC, it's 180w. I have a Renogy MMPT controller on it.  Fantastic! I have a lot of LED lights, the 12v fridge and my CPAP (no heater). Never run out. Even charged when cloudy but bright.

I started with a HF controller that was junk. It waited until you batteries got down to something stupid like 75 or 80% before it switched on. Then there wasn't enough sunlight left to top off.
John Sawicky

WV Sawmiller

Been a while since I camped but I remember a bucket, shovel. ax, and tarp were always handy. If you are leveling a trailer or truck sometimes it is easy to dig a hole and drive a high side wheel in it to lower it or short boards or pile up dirt to drive the low side wheel up on to level it. I like simple one dish meals so a a crockpot might be a consideration if you have to power to run one. A wok fits high on my list for one dish meals. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

firefighter ontheside

I'm sure that your idea of making storage containers will work.  all of our dishes are plastic and are put into an upper cabinet just like we do at home and they travel just fine like that.  It's amazing how things can stay in place inside the camper even going 70 mph and hitting bumps.  Occasionally something left on the counter will end up on the floor, but usually not.  I would not want a gas generator riding inside the camper.  That smell would last a long time.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

GAB

Larry:
I suggest you try and find out all sizes and shapes of fuses associated with your camper and carry some spares.  Same for light bulbs.
Also have something to use to put your knees on when emptying the tanks.  This is important when the ground is wet and you do not care for wet knees for the next few hours.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

There should be a packet inside somewhere with all of the appliances etc. manuals.  The manuals will answer many questions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chet

One of the things we do is unpack. After a few trips, if we have anything that hasn't been used it gets unpacked. Unless its a safety or get out of trouble item. Other wise you will quickly run out of room. ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Machinebuilder

I will suggest a good battery monitor, one that measures the amount of power used.

In my camper i used a Victron bmv-712, but there is a newer smart shunt. I have 320W of solar and a 100AH LiFePo battery.

they are a shunt resistor that is installed into the negative lead to the batteries, all the current from and to the batteries is measured.
the BMV 712 has a small display, the smart shunt is bluetooth only. the Victron ap allows some setup for the type of battery and the Amphour rating of the battery.

one thing to note is with lead acid batteries you do not want to discharge them below 1/2 the rated Amphour, If you do the battery will die an early death.
That's why I have the LiFePo now. they can be discharged further with out losing capacity
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

21incher

When we had our big Winnebago one thing that I added was one of those little Plano compartment boxes with spare fuses, a spare thermal fuse for the water heater,  assorted electrical terminals and splices, heat shrink insulation,  some sheet metal  screws, and assorted small nuts and bolts.  Also a small tool box with a crimper, square  drive screw driver, and cheap vom meter. Don't  forget one of those scrubbies with the nylon mesh for the windshield because there are some big gushy bugs going west. Don't  forget the camera because we love pictures.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SawyerTed

One of the best things I did before we got the camper out on the road was wax the front a couple of times.  

Those big gushy bugs, diesel soot and road grime make a mess on the front off a camper too!  Is nice to hit it with a water hose and light brush to knock that mess off.  Otherwise, it a ladder and elbow grease, I'd rather go hiking. 

Thank You Sponsors!