iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swing Blade Qustion

Started by Mt406, March 19, 2014, 01:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mt406

I am cutting a big DF 775 bf in a 16.5 log with big knots some are 6" or more.
I have a D&L 10-20 37hp.
When I saw though a knot at 90 degrees no problem.
When I cut though a knot parallel the blade will some times  deflect and return after passing though leaving a high spot.
My question is ... Is this a common occurrence???
This log is very dry.

Thanks   

dgdrls

I haven't sawn any knots that large,  I'm certain they are hard as concrete,
have you slowed your cut at those?

Any pictures you can post?

DGDrls

longtime lurker

I have that issue occasionally in my nice dense Australian hardwoods that go over a 10 on the Janka scale (when green ;D)... but no way is D.F. that hard no matter how long it's been down... a 3 at best.

Still it does happen, and the only solution is to slow your feed rate down and let it nibble it's way through.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Seaman

I have not had that happen in a knot, but I haven't sawn any knots that big. I have had it happen in a crotch section where the wood is very dense. So I would say it's the wood, not the blade,
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

bandmiller2

I would say its normal for old dry hard knots even a sharp band would do the same thing. As suggested slow to a crawl going through. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sigidi

Knots/cranky grain will do it to you all the time.

Things like crotches are good education, you get the nice even grain leading up to it and you get to push the saw at its limit, but then you come up to that cranky grain and it'll bring you down every time  ;D don't ask me how I know  8)

Best thing is like most have mentioned already, feed a bit slower at knots, also keep your blade sharp, plus take smaller bites on horizontal cuts that come across the 'the face' of knots/cranky grain.
Always willing to help - Allan

ET

Mt406, Ive been sawing with my swing now for about 2 years. When I hit big knots, especially white oak, i know I hit something. Ive never got any measureable deflection that Im aware of, but boy its hard pushing through it. I agree, just slow goes it and keep blade sharp.

By the way, those bunks your using look interesting. Did they come with your mill. How about some details on them. Thanks, Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Mt406

Thanks
Have a dentist appointment this morning will try to take some photos this afternoon.
still have a 1/3 of that log to saw.

Mt406

Didn't get to saw today, on the way home from the dentist. one of the tree guys flaged me down and gave me 3 loads of cotton wood.
Nice wood 16-26in tips 9-10 ft long hauled 16 home today should have another 8 or so tomorrow.
I did take some photos. Its kinda hard to see the level is sitting  on to knots with a gap in the middle.
I will take some pic of the bunks - dog system it came with the mill needs to be built heavier I have a bow in 2 of them.

Thank You Sponsors!