iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Stihl 'Chainsaw' Water Pump

Started by joe_indi, February 07, 2017, 06:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe_indi

No folks its is not something that I made. It is my Stihl P840 water pump which is derived from the old 08S powerhead.
This pump is really light for its output. It has a maximum head of 30 meters (110 feet) and a maximum discharge @0 head of 30,000 liters/hour.
Years ago the Stihl importer here brought in a few pieces from Brazil (its made there).
I had to own one, even though I never used it more than a few hours.
Now, after nearly 20 years I unpacked it to get it ready to lend to a friend. We are getting ready to face the worst drought of more than a century and he needs to pump water  about 80 feet high into a tank. He has no electricity there, so I suggested he borrow my 840.
All I had to do was give it a good wipe, turn the engine over with a few squirts of oil. The base is the fuel tank and it is quite big. So I inserted the fuel hose in a small bottle of fuel instead. A couple of pulls with the choke closed and it fired up and set it self to a smooth purr forgetting that it was the first run in 20 years!

You can see where  part of the crankcase of the 08S was laser-cut  in the picture below. The burn marks are visible

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ox

Very neat!  I love it!  Thanks for sharing, and you're a good friend to let your friend use this.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

HolmenTree

Very nice Joe thanks for sharing that.
Those 08 powerheads were such a versatile unit.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

sawguy21

I have never seen one but it doesn't surprise me. The 08S saw a lot of different applications.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

snowstorm

homlite made one also based on a xl12. i remember working those. one i never saw but did see the ads for a xl12 circular saw

Al_Smith

At one time a lot of saw manufacturers used various chainsaw engines for a whole bunch of power options for other equipment .McCulloch for example used 250 and 700 power units for post hole augers ,winches ,generators ,a bomb lift for the US navy and probably two dozen more applications I've never seen.Fact I have an entire section of my dealers book of IPL's the covers the 700 power units .

alabama

That's pretty cool and can come into good use when needed.
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

Kbeitz

Quote from: snowstorm on February 09, 2017, 06:59:30 AM
homlite made one also based on a xl12. i remember working those. one i never saw but did see the ads for a xl12 circular saw

I have one...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

JohnG28

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 10, 2017, 06:14:56 PM
Quote from: snowstorm on February 09, 2017, 06:59:30 AM

I have one...

That's pretty awesome!
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Thank You Sponsors!