iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill yard gate

Started by Bruno of NH, April 18, 2021, 02:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

The real boss was sick of getting bothered on off hours.
Need a new mill yard/house yard cable gate.
My friend Mike and Ethan helped me out.
Gave Mike some lumber for the excavator time.
Ethan and I did the fence building with some black locust low grade lumber I had.
I need to add some more signs with hours and such.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

HemlockKing

You'd think people would have the decency to not show up after 5 it being a "traditional" closing time...  ???, but a lot of folks only think about themselves.
A1

Bruno of NH

7 or 8 at night lately
Got home from town the other day.
There is a gooseneck trailer blocking part of my yard.
It's crazy 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

dgdrls

Looks good Bruno,

If I may suggest?

Add some more reflective/bright color to the cable/chain gate,

Build a flyer box with service, hours and contact # and place it on one of the posts,

D

Bruno of NH

Great idea on the flyers
I have some orange paint for the cable .
I left it down till I paint.

Larry

Ever hear of Dogpatch USA?  Used to be a tourist trap in this part of the woods but has been closed for years.  Some kid riding a atv close lined himself on a cable across a private road on the property.  I don't remember all the details but the ensuing lawsuit got the kid $650,000 and forced the property into a bankruptcy sale.

Lawsuit settlement puts Dogpatch USA in new hands

Can your cable be seen after dark?  I might put up a real gate.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Crusarius

I would not want that blocking my driveway cause I am to lazy to get out and move it every time I want to go through.

You could add a solar panel and a battery there to power to open and close a gate pretty easily. 

At a minimum I would tie some landscaper tape streamers onto the cable for visibility.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Larry on April 18, 2021, 04:12:48 PM
Ever hear of Dogpatch USA?  Used to be a tourist trap in this part of the woods but has been closed for years.  Some kid riding a atv close lined himself on a cable across a private road on the property.  I don't remember all the details but the ensuing lawsuit got the kid $650,000 and forced the property into a bankruptcy sale.

Can your cable be seen after dark?  I might put up a real gate.
I agree. Could be a potential liability 

HemlockKing

Quote from: Larry on April 18, 2021, 04:12:48 PM
Ever hear of Dogpatch USA?  Used to be a tourist trap in this part of the woods but has been closed for years.  Some kid riding a atv close lined himself on a cable across a private road on the property.  I don't remember all the details but the ensuing lawsuit got the kid $650,000 and forced the property into a bankruptcy sale.

Can your cable be seen after dark?  I might put up a real gate.
I did this on a ATC when I was kid bombing down a dirt road... was going to the lobster pounds wharf next door as I use to fart around there, anyway, they decided to add a chain for after hours, I ran into it going about 25mph and it got caught up in the handle bars and rode me/the bike upwards/wheelie then flipped the bike down onto me, I don't know how I never broke a bone.
A1

Bruno of NH

I'm going to paint it safety orange and add reflectors with a sign. 

711ac

Heck an orange cone beteen your pretty fence would (should) be enough for most. I have an old hunk of yellow garden hose over my cable.
Nice job Bruno.

richhiway

Use plastic chain. It will break free if someone hits it. Or just put a few traffic cones between the posts if  you don't plan on locking it.

I hit a cable on a dirt bike when I was a kid. It hurt bad.

We rode the road for years then one day the guy put up an unmarked thin wire cable. I was going about 50. Luckily he had strung two and the lower one slowed the bike down. I stood up at the last second and took the worst of it on my arms and chest. My neck had a nasty bruise and I couldn't speak for a few days. Not the last time in my life someone was watching over me. 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Magicman

I smiled when I saw that picture of your entrance because I have driven down that drive.  Looking good my Friend.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stavebuyer

I use these with a solar gate opener. I painted mine black and put the DOT reflective tape on them for visibility. They have 3 different sizes of tubing so they "telescope".

Origin Point Brands Barrier Gate | Free Shipping | DoMyOwn.com

peakbagger

I used to work for a water utility that owned a lot of woodlands around their water supply. This was early in the ATV boom and they had one death and few accidents from folks hitting cables along with issues with snowmobiles. Painting cables didnt work that well but what did was sliding the cable inside a 3" thin wall PVC pipe and then wrapping reflective tape around the pipe. It substantially improved the visibility day and night. The thought was that it may reduce the severity of a low speed crash by causing the pipe to roll up over the ATV or rider.  The UV eventually attacks the pipes so they need replacement every 15 or 20 years. My guess is thicker pipes may last longer but a bit heavier.

Note in NH and I think Maine and possibly other states, there are recreational liability laws that protect landowners from liability for people using their property as long as it open to the public. There have a few cases over the years in NH where people were killed or seriously injured by running into gates and cables. Despite lawyers willing to try to sue, the cases rarel make it into court and the ones that do get thrown out.  

Chuck White

I've seen a few places around this area where there are "cable gates"!

What several of those businesses did was to put "highway size" signs saying "cable gate ahead", 100 feet or so before the actual cable!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DixieReb31

I was a part time taxidermist for 20 years.  For some reason if you set up a business on the property on which you live people think you're open all the time.  It wasn't uncommon for people to bring something at 10:00 at night and fully expect to be waited on. I'm no longer in the taxidermy business and that was a leading reason.
WM LT35HD, John Deere 2040, John Deere 4044 w/FEL, Grapple, forks.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Magicman on April 18, 2021, 08:04:39 PM
I smiled when I saw that picture of your entrance because I have driven down that drive.  Looking good my Friend.  smiley_thumbsup
Me too. Fun day that was. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ktm250rider

Safety cone mounted to a 4x4 planted in the ground in a removable sleeve.  You know you can drive right over it and it will bend out of the way.  Most people will stop.  Im lazy and impatient don't want to unhook a chain, or wait for the gate to open.

stanmillnc

Here's my gate - bit of a statement piece and subtle advertising for my sawmill operation. Since I'm zoned residential, I can't display any business signage.

Bruno of NH

Quote from: stanmillnc on April 20, 2021, 07:41:20 AM
Here's my gate - bit of a statement piece and subtle advertising for my sawmill operation. Since I'm zoned residential, I can't display any business signage.

Very nice

moodnacreek

So this is when people come: 12 to 1 when I have taken my boots off [and all the layers in winter] and gone in for lunch. But if they miss the lunch hour they will be here after 5. Saturday mourning nobody but just wait til Sunday. I have tried gates in the past but trucks back into them and everything else.

Thank You Sponsors!