iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bringin' up da Wood

Started by Magicman, September 29, 2018, 01:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Just got home from the monthly chiro tune up. Every visit he hands me a sheet to fill out explaining my pain, any changes, etc.
There are two questions that ask:
'What causes your pain to increase?" Which I usually answer "Work" and the other aks "What do you find relieves your pain?" and I usually answer ""Rest".
This time I answered to the first one: "Fire wood" and to the second I answered :sitting by the fire".
He came in read, the chart, and just said "OK, I get it". :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

JD Guy

Quote from: Magicman on January 15, 2024, 10:37:44 PM

Yuppers, I gots Snow on da deck, 22° and dropping, and plenty of firewood brought up.  Here, hold my Purple Drank 'cause I gots this.   :snowball:

Even built ah Snowman..... :)

Oldest grandson traveled from here in upstate SC to Hill AFB in Utah this week. (Took a DOD contractor job working with F35 program where he was in the USAF for 6 years prior to his getting out) Made the decision (good one) to take the southern most route across country to avoid winter weather. His first day out he spent the night in Biloxi with a former USAF buddy. Woke the next morning early to ice sickle hanging off his truck and super bad road conditions on I-10. Even had several detours off interstate due to bad bridges and accidents.. Told him it appeared that the only way to completely avoid the weather this year was to go through the Gulf of Mexico :D. He made it to Utah last night unscathed thankfully!!

Magicman

I am glad that he made the trip safely.   move_it

We are forecast to see 18° for the next two nights and then rain for the next week but thankfully no temps below freezing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

That's quite a journey across the continent for anyone in the winter. Glad he's safe on the other end. A lad I worked with in BC tried to go through the mountains in the winter headed east and never made it. Not the place to be in a blizzard.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

cutterboy

I had hope that  by now I wouldn't have to run the woodstove in the basement but just use the kitchen stove to supply enough heat till we didn't need heat any more. But with this weather we need the basement stove and it is still burning strong but I've run out of wood in the  basement so I have to bring in more wood from the barn. Usually I use the small Cub Cadet with the dump trailer to transport firewood right to the sliders to the basement. However with turf tires the Cub Cadet is no good in the snow and I've got 3" on an inch of sleet. So, I'll have to use the tractor. But, the ground is soft under the snow so I can't drive the tractor on the lawn. I'll have to drive the tractor around thru the field in back of the house up to the edge of the lawn and use a wheelbarrow to transport the wood into the basement. That should be fun! :uhoh:
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Magicman

Crap, you are still bringin' up wood and I wheelbarrowed my remaining/unused wood back to the woodshed last week.

I hate for you guys that are still getting glacier blasted.  We have rain all of this coming week with lows in the high 40's & 50's. 

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Only bringing up I did was a year ago. Right now bringing it 5 steps from the pile to the stove door.  No one will say I ran out of seasoned stove wood near the stove. ffcheesy

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Old Greenhorn

I am still splitting wood for the shop stove to keep it going. It's my only heat there and we are still in the low 30's most nights. Today it should get over 40 in the afternoon. My house stove is running right ow, but I let it dies during the daylight hours, then re-fire in the evening.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

cutterboy

So, bringing up the wood today.

The fire is burning merrily with the new load of wood.

My trusty old tractor is waiting patiently for me to take her back to the barn.

Monday and Tuesday highs in the 60s so I should be able to shut the stove down then.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

g_man

It's about 100' from the basement door to the wood shed. Usually I shovel or snowblow a path and use my wood dolly with bicycle tires to bring in large wheel barrow sized loads of wood and park it next to the stove. But I waited to long to make my path and snow is to heavy for me to want to  shovel and the under powered blower only likes fluffy stuff when it is this deep. The ground is soft. So I'll have to use one of the old boat sleds we have from when the grandkids were small. Can drag that through the door and next to the stove too.

thecfarm

Won't have to use that sled for long. I suppose you will be getting that 60° weather? We are having rain-snow showers off and on all day. That will make the snow soft. I hope. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

g_man

It should be gone by the end of the week if not sooner. Even at cloudy 40* it is melting.

gg

SwampDonkey

It took 4 days of wind and rain at 40° to take down 20" of snow 2 weeks ago. ffcheesy  There's still 2" of crusty snow here in fields that will take a good week of warm weather to melt. Will be mostly gone by next Friday. Hasn't done a thing here all day. I see some bad weather off to the west of here in Maine. We get short peeks of sun here.

GRANITEstateMP

glad I had the basement about full of wood for this weeks storm
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

thecfarm

I brought up a bunch of wood too. But that snow should be well on its way by Monday night.
Had a light drizzle here all day, that made the snow even wetter.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!