iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Knee Replacement...Now Shoulder Surgery

Started by Magicman, October 15, 2019, 07:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

I'm hoping to put off the reverse replacement, hopefully forever :D. Mom had hers done and it worked fine, till she fell. It shattered the arm bone very badly where the titanium is stuck into it. It took months of them being afraid to try anything before a doc at Duke went in and pinned and wired everything back together, the x-ray looks like Frankenstein. Anyway just saying if you fall, take the faceplant! She is back to playing piano, which we never expected again.

bwstout

Yes sir that is my biggest fear of falling but pain free kinda overrides the fear :)
home built mill

doctorb

You and I went through your expected rehab of your knee, so it's time to discuss your shoulder.  I would opine that you agonized more mentally than physically getting over your total knee.  I know it's tough watching the progress, but the improvement is continually there, and it's rewarding.  You did great.  

But a shoulder ain't a knee, and the two are as different as night and day in recovery.  After repair or reconstruction of a rotator cuff, dependent upon the damage and what the surgeon had to do to repair it, your shoulder is often held pretty still for a period of time.  Gentle motion naturally occurs in the post op sling, and, dependent upon your individual tear and repair, motion can be started pretty early.

But Large tears or those that are pulled off the bone must heal (reattach) to the humeral head before you start doing a lot with your shoulder.   So stiffness can be a REAL issue, once you are given the green light to push ahead.  That stiffness is painful.  No other word for it.  Recovery from a rotator cuff surgery can be much tougher than a total knee.

So I'm not trying to be Dr. Downer here, but I wanted you to have a realistic outlook for your recovery.  Remember, all of this lies on a spectrum, and it really matters what damage is in your shoulder and how much the surgeon has to do to repair it.  Best of luck.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ed_K

I pray everything goes well for you Lynn.
Ed K

Magicman

Thanks doctorb.  The surgeon said that he would shave the bone spur and bursitis off and that the rotator cuff damage was "small". 

True to form, I will obey the advice given regarding the healing, recovery, and later PT.  Whatever it takes is exactly what I will do.

As a followup on the knee, it is changing as the swelling gradually goes down.  I rarely ever even think about it while I am walking but I was on it a good bit Monday and I could feel it Tuesday.  No pain, but there was some flexion tightness.  Aleve seems to help.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

I gave Lynn a sermon on shoulder recovery awhile back as I have a lot of experience in that. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

i remember the sermon on the mount, do not recall one on the rotator cuff, or as my my late great uncle Bill called them rotator cups.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Don P

This is one of those times when its good to be small  ;D
Good luck! Oh, and pay attention to where your fingers are while that nerve block is on.

Magicman

Thanks everyone.  I have to be there at 8:00 in the morning and I'm ready.

Raider Bill was scheduled for his surgery on the 13th and I haven't read anything from him.  Also I would love to hear an update from tree-farmer who is taking PT.  I keep checking the "Rotator cuff" topic. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Mr. Lynn,
Good luck to you.  With your work ethic and tenaciousness, I expect that you will recover well and completely.  I look forward to finally meeting you at Jake's in April.  Thank you for your contributions of wisdom and experience to this forum.  I hope that your recovery is swift and allows you to get back in the saddle (seat) soon.  Your SMV emblem on the Kubota is upside down but the top looks good.  I do not anxiously await pictures of your feet but please let us know about your shoulder's convalescence.
Caveman

Old Greenhorn

Good Luck Lynn, I expect you will deal with this is the same manner as the knee! You've got this!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

Quote from: caveman on February 20, 2020, 09:35:22 PMYour SMV emblem on the Kubota is upside down but the top looks good.
I was wondering when/if someone would notice or comment about the SMV sign.  There was no convenient place to properly put it on the back so I just flipped it and went to the ROPS.  Up high it is easier to see which is it's purpose anyway.  Anyway if the SMV sign police don't catch me it will probably stay flipped.

Thanks to all for the well wishes and kind words.  A couple of items still must fall into place before I can commit on Jake's in April.

Ed_K

Ed K

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

We got home a little past noon after having the rotator cuff repaired, the detached bicep reattached, and the bone spur and bursitis shaved off.  The pain block has not worn off yet, but I have already taken a pain pill as instructed to stay ahead of the pain.

Here is a video of me waking up and being visited by Donna (daughter) and Marty (son).
https://youtu.be/hnV5vHH5bwg

tule peak timber

How in the heck are you going to be able to flip boards looking like that ?  Get better , best wishes. Healing is slower at our age.... ;D
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Banjo picker

You will probably start a new style with that t shirt.  Get well ole buddy, people down there needs logs sawed.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

MikeZ

Looking good MM. I had total shoulder replacement last Thurs. Enjoy that nerve block as long as you can and stay up on pain pills. It's a lot easier to stay ahead rather than catch up. You know that by now. Amazing how you take things for granted till that function is not there. I never was any good blowing my nose with one hand. All the best.
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

Old Greenhorn

Very glad to see you are upright and taking nourishment young man. You are looking pretty good considering the shape you are in. ;D We might start calling you the left handed sawyer. 
 Be well, get rest and heal up well. There are a lot of folks that want to see you kicking up dust again.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

Quote from: MikeZ on February 21, 2020, 09:35:58 PMAmazing how you take things for granted till that function is not there.
I've wizzed but I ain't wiped yet!!   :o

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on February 20, 2020, 08:23:16 PMRaider Bill was scheduled for his surgery on the 13th and I haven't read anything from him. Also I would love to hear an update from tree-farmer who is taking PT.
I offer my deepest and most sincere apology and sympathy to Raider Bill and tree-farmer.  

My Dad had a favorite quote; "It's good to know, but it's better to understand".

No sleep last night, and right now I would gladly trade this shoulder for three knee surgeries!!   :o :-\ :-X

randy d

Wishing you the best and speedy recovery. Randy

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!