iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Climbing Basics

Started by Furby, October 11, 2006, 07:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

Was just looking at Bailey's Christmas catalog and saw this DVD listed.
Anyone have it/seen it?
Is it any good and can you really learn the basics of climbing from a DVD?

chet

Can't help ya Furby, as I never seen da vidio. But I do know da first and foremost rule of tree climbing  ;) don't fall out, it hurts.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Furby

Learned that one many, many moons ago! ;D

Giel

Learning the basics with a DVD and some common sense should work fine. Bearing in mind the first an foremost rule of not falling down I would recommend proper training before you start to take up (power)tools into the tree. Give it a go, climbing trees is so much fun!!!!  8)

Giel
Giel

Furby

I already take power tools into trees.
Maybe it's too late for me. :-\

mike_van

Physics 101 - gravity can be your worst nightmare -  :o
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Kevin

Looks like a good place to start Furby, Tree Climbers Companion is a good pocket book also.

Tree Climbers Companion

Start low and slow, there's much more to it than meets the eye, mistakes are costly and possibly fatal.
If you can, try and start helping someone that climbs as a ground man running the ropes.

Woodwalker

From personal experience, falls don't hurt.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

JimBuis

Quote from: Woodwalker on October 11, 2006, 09:04:45 PM
From personal experience, falls don't hurt.

Woodwalker, you are quite right!  The falling don't hurt a thing............it's the sudden stop that smarts. :D :D
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

sawguy21

The dealership I now work for sells climbing gear and it is a real eye opener. Good thing the customer knows a lot more about it than I do or he could get hurt. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Don_Papenburg

I disagree Chet , The fall is invigerating , its that very fast stop on terra firma that hurts big time .  I did it one time when a scafold plank broke .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

chet

Trust me da fall hurts too. Lots of things ta possibly hit on yer way ta mother earth.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

OneWithWood

brings a certain song to mind;

"I ain't afraid of falling, but I hate hitting the ground."
    -Hootie and the Blowfish
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

rebocardo

In construction we use to say it is only the first 30 feet that hurt.  :-\  Of course with a tree, hitting every branch on your way down or being yanked mid way by a safety rope might be a bit painful too.

I think the thing to remember climbing is to never assume the tree will actually be standing once you start cutting parts off it or that it will not spring board and send you flying.

I think learning climbing is one thing, learning climbing and cutting trees is another.  ;)

From what I have seen, there are three basic ways with three levels of mastery.

1) Spikes and a belt,

2) Ropes and ascenders for your feet and hands,

3) Roping to other trees and basically sitting in a harness to cut the tree, so if it falls, you do not go down with the tree. 

I think #2 and #3 are better off being taught by a professional. Then again, it depends what passes as a professional in your area.

Might be worth while to join a tree climbing club (all ropes).

Murf

OWW, that sounds a lot like what my dear ol' Dad taught me when I was learnin' ta fly....  ::)

Fallin' outa' da sky don't hurt none at all.......... the sudden stop at da bottom messes ya up some though.......    :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Riles

Gravity: It's not just a theory, it's the law!
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Modat22

My dads brother was trying to save a bit of money topping a silver maple tree. Branch broke, he fell and a tree branch stopped his fall by jabbing into his right forearm like a worm on a hook.

I like heights myself but I don't think I'll ever do any tree work up there. I'll leave that to the guys that know what they are doing  ;D
remember man that thy are dust.

Murf

Riles, as a pilot I can tell you, absolutely, there is no such thing as gravity..........  ::)

The earth sucks!!!  :D   :D   :D   :D

beenthere

Murf
And so do tall buildings in New York, NY :o
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Murf

Nah, it just got in his way after he ran out of sky.......  ::)

Very sad, but the only three things of no use to a pilot are, the sky above you, the run way behind you, and the fuel back at the airport.

Lots of people have died for the lack of those things.

My prayers go out to his widow and son (who's birthday is next week). Lord preserve them as only you can.

pigman

When I was twelve, my Dad and older brothers sent me up a tree to shake out a coon. :-\  They said the limbs looked kind of weak and might break if a big person climbed on them. I got up to the coon alright, but then the coon did not want to jump out. ::) I shook the limb he was on and poked him with a stick. All the time my brothers were hollering to hurry up and shake him out. >:(  After a bit the limb he was on broke and he came tumbling out. After I saw what the dogs did to that coon, I wonder what would have happened if I had fallen  instead of the coon. fly_smiley
Bob the coon hunter
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

beenthere

pigman
Your coon story reminds me of 20-25 years ago, coon hunting with neighbors, startin about 8:30 at night and goin until 2-3 in the morning. Get the dogs on a trail, and then sit around, listen to the dogs barkin, and tellin old coon huntin stories. It was fascinating. I asked the older guy, 80 years old then, what they did for light before the 5 cell flashlights were used, figurin it was coleman lantern or similar. He said when the coon was treed, they'd send one guy up the tree with a lantern (kerosene I believe) and a .22 or blackpowder. Find the coon and either shake it out like pigman did or shoot it there in the tree. What a difference D cell batteries and big lights make. Now, no more tree climbin.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Riles

... and helicopters don't fly, the earth repels them!
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D Not all the time, Riles. I worked with them contraptions for 13 years and lost a few friends due to 'impact with terrain'.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Murf

Actually Riles, fixed wing pilots will tell you, da proper technical explanation is that da earth is repulsed by them.  :D

Yupp, first time they explained auto-gyro to me I jis' looked at em and waited fer dem ta start snickerin' some, dey didn't.......  :o

Den da feller said we was gonna go try it, I figgered as long as he was willin' ta go wit me, it couldn't be too bad.  ::)

It worked, but I wasn't impressed even a mite by it. I much prefer stall training ina fixed wing airey-plane. Nearly as much fun as spins......  :D

Thank You Sponsors!