iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln door

Started by logbyr, June 08, 2020, 10:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logbyr

Some pics of my almost finished kiln door.   Being it's in a building, normal swing open door took up too much needed space in front of door for opening.    With help of wife's very talented uncle we designed a bifold door that only needs 6' clearance in front to open.   Still a few minor bugs to work out but it seems to be working as planned.   Need insulation and protective cover on outside of panels then get to drying lumber finally.  

Walnut Beast

Looking good 👍. Is your floor the existing concrete and do you have a floor drain ?

Crusarius

Ahh the traditional hangar door. I have been wanting to do that on one side of my shop forever. Be so nice to be able to open the whole thing up.

When you lower that you may need a clip in the middle or a strong torsion spring to hold it closed.

logbyr

Yes concrete is floor.  6" concrete, vapor barrier and 2" blue board.   Debating whether to but 6 x 6's on floor to put lumber on.   It's all on 4" high pallets.   No floor drain,
Door stays down well.   Just needs a simple latch to snug it up to door frame.

Crusarius

Nice, I would love some more detailed pictures.

WDH

Quote from: logbyr on June 09, 2020, 07:01:24 AMDebating whether to but 6 x 6's on floor to put lumber on.  
I did.  They are about 5x5.  I put a 4x8 sheet of OSB on the floor to show me where to place the lumber packs.  The 5x5's are on top of that unattached so that I can slide them under the pallet runners once I get the pallet in the kiln on the tractor forks before I set the pallet down. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

I agree.  I didn't put wood and insulation on the concrete and regret it.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

firefighter ontheside

That's pretty cool.  A little fancier than my door.  Do you use a winch to open it?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

scsmith42

That's nicely done.  

I considered a bi-fold for my solar kilns, but the door height is only 9' above ground and it wouldn't clear some of my forklifts.

Very nice craftsmanship.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

logbyr

Few more pics of lifting mechanism.   It's powered by a manual chain hoist with 3/1 reduction and a counterweight.   The very talented uncle fabricated most everything u see including machining the cable winding drums.  50lbs of welding rod and 2 spools of mig wire consumed.   
Thx for the advise on the 6 x 6 base.   I was thinking of running 2 rows across kiln horizontal to door opening.  

Thank You Sponsors!