iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Single story deck with a second story framed on top

Started by iancorey, July 04, 2021, 12:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iancorey

First, this is my first post. I have (over the last four years) always found the answers I was looking for on this forum by lurking around long enough and figuring it out. Thank you to everyone who asked questions and a big swoop of the cowboy hat to everyone who answered them. Great community.

I am about to embark on my third frame, my largest ever- a home. I have three factors that are influencing the design and process. 1) I am harvesting the oaks and maples in my forest and milling them myself. 2) I am remote enough and the site dictates (and finances indicate) that a crane may not be in the cards. 3) I prefer to work alone, mostly because I don't have a lot of people in my life that would like to help and because I have a tough time asking for favors (see paragraph one). 

These factors combine to bring me to the design I have mocked up in the attached image. I want to create members that are manageable to transport and raise on my own. Therefore, 16' 8x8 oak posts are out of the question. 

Can I build a single story deck and then build a second story and roof atop that deck? 

What is the name of this type of design so I can do more research? 

Tell me straight– what are the downfalls to this type of construction?

Thank you for responding. 
–Ian

Don P

Hey Ian, welcome outta the closet  ;D
I've got to go unload and reload the kiln but in the meantime, if this is truly an unbraced deck with a house on top google "soft story" for reasons not to go that route, lots of load and sail on top of inadequately braced legs. The analogy I find that clicks for most folks is to imagine putting the car on top of the dining room table, yup it'll hold it just fine. Now bump the table, whump!

If you have something else in mind redirect.

iancorey

Quote from: Don P on July 04, 2021, 04:53:26 PM
... if this is truly an unbraced deck with a house on top...
Thanks for the response. The model was just to illustrate the idea that the posts are not solitary from the foundation to the rafter plates. There will be adequate wind bracing in the final design, this was just a mock up.

Don P

@Jim_Rogers 
In stick frame that would be called platform frame as opposed to balloon frame. In timberframe I would call it box frame as opposed to bent frame.

florida

I would call that a post and beam structure on a platform frame. It was a very common way to build piling houses until FEMA came along and put a stop to it. Now the posts have to extend to the roofline and the bottom of the floor has to be above the flood zone level if there is one.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Don P

Ian, I think florida just saw it the way I did. Sketch in the first floor system and foundation, generally to make it more clear if you would.

Looking up at the roof I'm not comfortable with your rafter tying strategy. That is a lot of horizontal thrust on those few plate/post tenons. I think it is going to want to roll the plate over.

Thank You Sponsors!