iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skip Or Non Skip Chain On A Ported 372 With A 28 Inch Bar ?

Started by gsrsol84mm, October 21, 2013, 08:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5000+

Depends on who ported it and what was done. Stock 28" full comp usually works ok. I ran one ported in Ohio that was fast until you buried a 24" bar in hardwood,  low on torque A stock 372 was stronger.

ehp

what your going to find is the biggest problem is getting enough bar oil to the 28 inch bar , I run a 24 inch on my 365xt's with porting done to them , no problem with power running a 28 inch in oak but the chain is always really dry , its better with the 24 inch bar

nmurph

A 372XT built by Terry will pull a 28" FC without a problem. It will also oil it just fine.

angelo c

What kinda wood ya workin and who is sharpening the chain...a "terry" ported 372 should have no problem with a 28" full compliment either way.
wife,kids,dog,t-shirts to prove it

HolmenTree

To the OP who's cutting elm, oak........regular comp chain is the best with your 28".
Only when I get into big clean softwood with my 36"-395XP  I run full skip chisel.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

It's 72 cc's .I can't see why it wouldn't pull a 28" skip or not ported or not .

As far as a 372 dying on the vine in a deeper cut it evidently was ported to be a GTG cookie cutter not a high torque work saw .

LaegersATC500R

I always use oil on my file when sharpening. Stihl has a good idea though.
Morton Downey Jr. was a good man.

Cut4fun

I ran 32" full comp on my Dan Henry ported 372  aka dozerdan.   Watch to make sure your oiling the bar chain though. 

Al_Smith

Dan did that guys 044 over by Mansfield --TwinTurbines place   .Now that's 70 cc's and I ran it with a 36" buried in a log .I can't remember if it was skip or full but it didn't have a problem with it .It was over 36" maybe 40" because with a 36" you still had to walk over the top to get it one pass .

dozerdan

I wouldn't recommend full comp on a stock 70cc saw with that long of bar.  If its ported correctly it will pull the full comp just fine.

Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

ehp

I guess maybe I donot cut enough trees a day logging to know much but I know this , if I'm cutting stuff like white oak, burr oak, black oak  the 372 series does not oil enough to stop from burning the hell out of the chain and bar , a 24 inch bar is tops , now if cutting other trees it might be fine , Its like the 562 , 20 inch bar is all it will oil here and in cutting white oak its just does enough to get the job done

ehp

now maybe if you are only cutting a tree or so at a time you might get a way with it , I try to cut and skid and buck up 35 trees a day by myself and most of my stuff is 30 inches on the stump average or bigger so oiling is a big problem . Now saying this I  builds saws for  a tree company that runs a 48 inch bar and chain which is skid tooth on a ported 7900 with a 7 pin gear , yes you cannot push on it but they only use that setup maybe 10 times a year and they donot want or need to by a big saw just to do that few cuts a year

Thank You Sponsors!