iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

leaf blower

Started by SILVERTOOTH, July 05, 2013, 12:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SILVERTOOTH

Don't know if this has come up before, but figured out a good way to get rid of the sawdust from off mill after sawing with a leaf blower. Beats dragging compressor hose around and is a lot more portable.

drobertson

I've read a few other use one, seems to work well, don't have one, I just use a brush and broom,  sounds like you got the loader working, glad to hear!  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

NCDiesel

Quote from: SILVERTOOTH on July 05, 2013, 12:12:58 PM
Don't know if this has come up before, but figured out a good way to get rid of the sawdust from off mill after sawing with a leaf blower. Beats dragging compressor hose around and is a lot more portable.

They work great IMHO.   I am not real experienced with band mills and maybe I am not familiar with an easier way to clean up, but I certainly can not think of one.   
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

WH_Conley

If you sticker your lumber stack, when the sawdust dries just use the blower on it. You will be surprised how much sawdust you missed.
Bill

Nomad

A leaf blower lives on my truck whenever I do a mobile job.  I wouldn't be without it.  And as mentioned, it works well for lumber stacks too 8)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Chuck White

Leaf blowers have been discussed here a few times, and most seem to be in favor of them.

I have used a leaf blower on my mill since the first year I had the mill.

I can clean off my mill in less than 5 minutes, and more thoroughly too.

Also, as one of the posters on previous discussion mentioned and I for one use it quite often, is the fact that the leaf blower will speed up the cooling down of the engine and the muffler/s so the cover can be put on sooner.

Wouldn't be without mine, it's a Stihl BG55.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

justallan1

I don't have one for my mill, but I've used them for farm equipment in the past and you just cant beat them.

ancjr

I have a small big box store handheld, plus a Stihl BR600 for when I need to move piles of wet chips, rocks, small logs.   :D

thecfarm

I just might get me one of them. Helps out of brush fires too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John S

I also use the Stihl BG55.  It only takes about 2 minutes to give the mill a thorough cleaning.  I was going to buy a larger model but luckily was talked out of it at the local Stihl dealer.  It is light-weight and easy to handle.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Al_Smith

Blowers are pretty handy for a lot of things .I have four myself .two Stihls  BG 85 and back pack BR 400.

For about 35 bucks and change you can buy a deal where you can blow the eave spouting clear of leaves without resorting to using a ladder.Do the whole house in about 10-15 minutes or less from the ground .

The BR 400 will blow about 18 inchs of snow and makes a dandy garage floor sweeper.Just about like a mini tornado .

Thank You Sponsors!