iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM will make it right whatever it takes!

Started by stavebuyer, August 12, 2013, 08:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stavebuyer

I recently ordered the 12' log deck package for my LT70. It arrived Thursday before last. We tore out the makeshift deck we had been using on Friday and poured a concrete pad for the new deck. We let the concrete set up over the weekend and starting bolting the shiny new orange deck in place on Monday. We also had a new stationary leg kit to install as well as replaced the blade guides, all the drive motor brushes, mill alignment and few other tasks. It was Tue am when we got around to the final step of installing the separate loader arm stop for the stop-n-loader; it was 8" to tall to work with the mill. A call to Wood-Mizer. The deck we got was built for the working height of the 3500/4000 industrial series mills and not the LT70. They apologized and said they would build us another. We pulled out the new deck and put the old deck we had been using back in place. I get a call from WM on Wed..they have the right height log deck package available in their industrial green paint and could deliver it the next morning if I would settle for green instead of the orange paint I ordered? I told them to bring it! So we are back to deck swapping: we are becoming experts at this task by now! On Thursday the 2nd new deck arrives. Its pouring rain and we wait until Fri morning to do the deck swap. The deck height is correct but the stop height is still 8" too high. Somehow the original dimension specifications for the LT series log deck loader stop had been altered to show the same loader stop heights for both versions of the lock deck package. We rig up a makeshift loader stop out of tie blocks and make another call to Indy. This is Fri morning at about 8:15. A little after lunch I get a call from Chris with Wood-Mizer. He is on the way to KY from Indy for the 2nd time in as many days with the newly manufactured log loader stop in hand and would get to the mill around 5 Friday evening. That's over 300 miles one way from Indy.

Yes, they got it wrong twice but went to extreme lengths to make it right. The 2nd deck would have worked fine for a few days using the tie blocks for a temporary loader stop and I told them as much. Job well done Wood-Mizer.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

grweldon

Hmmmm.....

That wasn't my initial thought.  After clicking on the "reply" button and composing a message, when I re-read it and recomposed it several times, I just deleted it knowing that however I expressed my opinion on the situation I would most definitely offend multiple people...

Keep in mind that I work in manufacturing.  We have a program to determine the cause of things like that and the extreme majority of the time it comes down to just one thing.  I'll let y'all assume you know what it is...

"GO ORANGE"!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Bibbyman

I'd probably just put 8x8s under the mill to match the deck height.   That way you can let the crud build up more between cleaning.

Another thought,  maybe Wood-Mizer could have sent you the taller legs for the mill?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

drobertson

Glad you are happy, this is what is important, satisfaction. Still hard to get a grip on these kind of mis- CA bobbles.  I reckon this explains the effort made to rectify.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

stavebuyer

Quote from: Bibbyman on August 12, 2013, 12:23:18 PM
I'd probably just put 8x8s under the mill to match the deck height.   That way you can let the crud build up more between cleaning.

Another thought,  maybe Wood-Mizer could have sent you the taller legs for the mill?

Lack of clearance with the ceiling prevented raising the mill.

We could of cut down the legs on the 1st log deck and stop, but that would have involved more lost time than the swap outs.

Bibbyman

As they say,  it's the thought that counts.   Probably not much considering the thought was too late and wouldn't work anyway.  ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Finn1903

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 12, 2013, 09:28:54 AM

Could also be a Clemson Tigars fan!

From my time in manufacturing, at times orders and parts get mixed up, we typically would investigate or discuss what went wrong.  But, what counts for us out here running our mills is the level of customer service and jumping through hoops to make a mix up right.   Yes, would be better if it was right the first time, but they also could have just put the part on a UPS truck and they mill owner would have waited twice as long to get the parts. Been there too.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

grweldon

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Kansas

We all make mistakes. Rumor has it I make one once or even twice a year. Its fixing the problem that makes good service. Woodmizer is a class act. It is in their best interests to eliminate problems. It costs a lot more to fix a problem than doing it right in the first place. Still, sometimes things happen. I don't have a clue how much equipment or parts they send out in a day. Somebody, somewhere is going to make a mistake once in awhile.

dgdrls

barbender

I have seen plenty of outfits that make mistakes, but only a few that will jump through hoops to make it right. I have to agree, WM is a class act. 
Too many irons in the fire

fishpimp

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 12, 2013, 09:28:54 AM

I like that!
My mills hydraulics giving me fits yesterday at end of the day. Fix to call the ORANGE posse and see what's up!
Lost all controls . Log turner. Side supports. Everything. I hear a clicking like noise. Wish me luck !

LeeB

Sounds like no power to the hydraulics. try moving your cutting head forward or back a little. You may have a dead spot on the contact strip. Another culprit could be the micro switch at the ffront of the hydraulics selector bar.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!