iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade Welds

Started by fstedy, November 04, 2006, 12:05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fstedy

How often do you notice two welds on the blades you buy? I have been noticing this more since I started setting and sharpening my own blades and its a DANG pain. Your right in the middle of setting and the tooth sequence changes. I don't know for sure but I think they are comming from the same Company but I don't know as I have received some samples and had ordered a large quanity of new blades some time back. When ordering do you specify only one weld and maybe a blade length that will fit your saw with a tooth multiple of 3 ? Its just very annoying. Thanks for listening to my rambling on.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

mike_van

I've used Simonds from Cooks for 10+ years now, i've never seen 2 welds.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Brad_S.

After doing this for 14 years, only recently have I noticed a growing number of double welds and they were from Simonds from Cooks.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

pigman

I have never had two welds on any of my Wood-Mizer blades.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Tom

I was getting Lenox blades from cooks with 2 and 3 welds a few years ago.  I called and asked that I only have one weld so that I can sharpen and set.  They accomodated me and suggested that I should have only gotten one every once in a while anyway.  I think the welder gets on a money saving kick now and again and gets up a bunch of scraps.

It doesn't hurt the strength as long as the weld is good, but it sure is a pain in the neck to sharpen and set.

I've not got a multiple weld in a long time now.

ely

i never even heard of it before now. and i have sharpened some junk i promise.

king-plantation

I'm gonna show my ignorance here..... why do multiple welds make sharpening and setting more difficult?

Wow, I've still got a lot to learn.......  ::)

Thanks,

Matt

Tom

Where there is a weld, the teeth are spaced a little differently than the rest of the blade and it makes it hard on a sharpener that is working off of a preset cam and push-rod.   You can grind an entire tooth off as well as hurt the stone on the grinder.

Also the Set will change at the weld.  It's really aggravating to be setting a blade and find that the next tooth is not set in the direction that you expected.

A good welder can make it almost unnoticeable, but there are few welders that will take the time.

Everytime there is a weld, there is the possibility of weak spot where the blade might break.  It also is a spot were the blade back might not be joined in a straight line and it will hammer the guides.

A weld is a necessary evil.  You're better off if there is only one.

fstedy

;D ;D ;D Tom  ;D ;D ;D
You just have a great way of explaning things simply and to the point!!!
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

ely

he do be good, dont he ;D

king-plantation

Ah, that makes sense now.... Excellent explanation!  ;)

Thanks,

Matt

Thank You Sponsors!