iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spearing a hog

Started by pappy19, August 16, 2013, 04:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy19

Must be over 18 to watch this and not for the squemish or young hunters, but an interesting video nonetheless. This guy is pretty good with a spear.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ef2_1375935857
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

beenthere

Interesting, but not impressive. A 12 ga with buckshot would have wiped out a few or more of the piglets. This video exposes the problem of thrill seekers just out for the thrill of killing. So feeding the hogs and encouraging their proliferation, and thus destruction, for the benefit of selling a seat at a game farm seems to be what it is about.
I hunt, but not that way. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pappy19

Yes, no doubt an AK-47 with a 50 round clip would have done a better job eliminating more hogs. I think the impressive thing was the dude's spear chucking ability, not once, but twice. I am sure it took more practice chucking his spear than shooting off a few hundred rounds of .22's with your Ruger.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

chevytaHOE5674

When hunting I like to make a quick and clean kill as I don't want the animal to suffer anymore than it has to. Those hogs died a terrible death that I wouldn't wish on any living thing. 

Texas Ranger

In Europe they hunt hogs on the ground, or used to, with a spear that has a hilt to keep the hog from running up the spear.  The hunter would provoke the boar into charging, and catch it on the spear.  Gave the hog a shot at the human.

Fairer in my opinion, the hog sometimes won.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

drobertson

All I know is I like to hunt, and make a quick kill too, but I have to say, after trying some homemade breakfast sausage with a wild pig, I am kinda hooked on it, made in the Tenn, old style fashion,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ernie

A bit of a misnomer to call that hunting.  Brings to mind the old shooting fish in a barrel saying.  I suppose that he thinks he's a real big hero. I am not impressed. >:(
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Corley5

Seems pretty gruesome to me.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Dan_Shade

I don't think that was too bad.

Better than a rifle/bow/shotgun injury where the animal gets away.

the pig didn't go far after being hit.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

LeeB

I guess none of you have had to track down a deer after even a good shot. Yep, they don't always fall over dead. How about bow hunting? How many die on the spot? Agreed, it does appear that he is hunting over a bait. Not much sport to that. Would any of you feel different had he used the same gear under a different circumstance?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Texas Ranger

There a few guys here in Texas that hunt hogs with dogs and knives, javelina with a knife, as well.  Takes all kinds.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!