iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small international log truck need info please

Started by logman81, November 09, 2014, 06:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

I have a guy that might be willing to trade a log truck for my skidder. The truck is a '98 international 4700 with a dt466 motor. Are they good motors and trucks?
Precision Firewood & Logging

logman81

Dave Shepard

I think they are great trucks, and the 466 is a very good engine as well.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

s grinder

Logman81,Truck should be ok as long as constantly overload it.The DT466 is a good engine. Is it mechanical or electronic,being an older truck mechanical would be better.The six speed if that what it has isn't the most stout,also two speed rear can be a weak link.I would take it for a ride see how it shifts make sure it shifts good and doesn't pop out of gear,also if it has a two speed rear do the hi lo thing make sure it shifts ok doesn't pop out of gear.Easy to get parts for.Does it have a grapple?Must be single axle?If you can't do a deal with him,and he wants to sell it send me a pm on his asking price and where it's located i would be interested,Thanks Joe

sawguy21

That is a good truck but payload will be limited on a single axle with the picker.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

logman81

Thanks for the input guys i really appreciate it.  It has the five speed in it and yes it has a grapple, it's a John deer loader and says it is very strong. I'm going to go look at it this Friday and if it is what he says it is I'm going to pull the trigger.

bill m

What is the GVW of this truck and if it is over 26000 lbs. do you have a cdl to drive it?
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

logman81

KyLogger

My '92 International 4700 has the DT466 and the straight 5spd. tranny. Motor is bulletproof, the 5 spd. (with no two speed rear) is the biggest issue I have with it. The gears are spread out too far (lose too many rpms) between em. Not an issue in flat country, but up here it is just slow going. It's a second gear up a steep hill kinda truck. If it had a two speed rear end it would be unstoppable!

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Nate379

If its only 26k I can't see it holding many logs.  My international 10 wheeler s2574 is about 22000 empty. (54,900 GVWR).

logman81

Thanks guys, I've been talking to a friend that has a similar truck and he swears by them. You have to remember I'm not looking to haul volume, just firewood and a few logs here and there and some occasional scrap metal. I will also be using it on landings to sort out and pile logs.

BargeMonkey

I would call and make sure you can get parts pretty easy for that loader. Those trucks are fairly common. That has hydraulic brakes or air ? Anything medium duty is big money for brakes because they know they've got you for parts, my cousin went thru this on his F-750.

coxy

parts for a jd loader :-X good luck   fittings for most of (95%) the hose s will have to come from jd      my be they have started stocking them fittings in the parts stores over the years but I would not count on it     does that have one joy stick to work every thing  the one we had only had one what a pile of  crap  ;D

snowstorm

i havnt seen a john deere loader in 30 yrs. air brakes are a must and you will need a cdl no matter what you buy.

donny hochstetler

I think your skidder is worth much more money than this setup I would hate to see you do an evenup trade n get hosed in that way just my opinion you will constantly be overloaded brakes , it is underpowered , the DOT,will smile everytime they see you coming and the loader looks old n will prob be hard to get parts for I do like your skidder it is probably one of the best timberjack ever made I dont mean to be negative just sharing some of my thoughts

BargeMonkey

Quote from: donny hochstetler on November 10, 2014, 07:50:28 AM
I think your skidder is worth much more money than this setup I would hate to see you do an evenup trade n get hosed in that way just my opinion you will constantly be overloaded brakes , it is underpowered , the DOT,will smile everytime they see you coming and the loader looks old n will prob be hard to get parts for I do like your skidder it is probably one of the best timberjack ever made I dont mean to be negative just sharing some of my thoughts
X2   hate to say it but dont be the guy who could "turn a large fortune into a small fortune". You never trade down or across. You only trade up. A local guy had an old truck with the same loader on it for 3500, I cautioned my buddy against it.
Its your deal, but there is better stuff out there. A couple DOT tickets will sour you on trucking real quick.

logman81

bill m

I have a truck very similar to that one. Mine is a 1989 with about 87,000 miles, DT360 and a fuller 6 speed, 26000 GVW and hydraulic brakes. Yes its under powered with the 360 but it is great on fuel mileage. To stay legal you can only put about 2 cords ( 1000 bd. ft. ) on it. I would like to upgrade to a different single axle with about a 38000 GVW but can't justify the expense. I only put about 1000 miles a year on it.

Dave Shepard

Bill, did I see something shiny and orange in your yard last week?  :) That looked like more fun than a bigger log truck.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

logman81

Bill m, this truck is supposed to be near mint condition from what the guy has said. Its a similar truck just newer with dt466 and straight 5 spd. Being limited to hauling two cord is perfectly fine with me. As far as finding parts for the loader I'm not worried at all. I have a good friend the owns a very well equipped machine shop and can make anything needed. He's got lathes cnc milling machines you name it he's got it. Also their are several good fab shops around here should I need any steel. I don't think I'm trading down much, it's not like i have people knocking down my door to buy the skidder. I've been given a great opportunity to get all the wood i want for next to nothing.  And have several firewood dealers locked in to buy my tree length so for me personally it's a win win. Just had one of the mills close it's doors and there might be another closing within the next year. However the firewood business is alive and well here so that is what I'm going to focus on for the most part. A guy has to go with what is going to make him some money, I know I'm not going to get rich no such thing just want to pay the bills and help keep my family warm and my customers.

bill m

Dave, yes you did see something orange and shiny - but it's not mine :( Borrowed it from a friend to bury a new electrical service at the sugar house. Logman8, I don't know how much you are looking to get for your skidder or how much that guy wants for his truck but it should be worth somewhere between $16000 and $20,000

logman81

Ok billm sounds good to me. How hard would it be to change the grapple and rotator to a bypass and 360 degree rotation?

xalexjx

my thoughts, if your going into trucking to make money might better start looking for a tri-axle with self loader. Thats just my thoughts, i wouldnt get into trucking unless a, your moving enough wood and cant find truckers, or b, you have one or two loggers that are putting out a lot of wood and cant find anyone, up here theres a lot of truckers if you have the capabilities to load them that haul 40 ton ( way cheaper then the guy hauling less then 20 ton)
Logging and Processed Firewood

logman81

No I'm not getting into trucking this is just for my own use to haul for my own firewood and to supply a couple of local small firewood producers. And maybe to home owners that want to cut and split their own firewood, nothing high volume.

Thank You Sponsors!